Topic

Need a Light Weight Long Sleeve

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a Light Weight Long Sleeve

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tim & Shell

@mccargoe

I need a lightweight long sleeve shirt. One that would be ideal for 60-65 degree whether, is light, and would be hard mosquitos to bite through. Can anyone offer some suggestions. Thanks.

– Tim

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Rail Riders Bone Flats Shirt?

Bryan Crook

@bcrook007

Locale: Nebraska

7-8 oz.,insect repellent built in to fabric

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Would a simple windshirt (Houdini, etc…) do the trick?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ that's always worked for me when the bugs get bad :)

I'm going to try pemethrin on my light longsleeve base layers (Cap 1 or Merino 1) this year and see what that does

I looked at the NosiLife ones a while back, looked like a very nice "traditional" button up shirt- they had a sale and I came close to buying one, probably will next sale

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Outdoor Research Echo long sleeve T-shirt treated with Permitrin — 3.8 ounces in size medium…

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I prefer them because they usually have a tighter weave and therefore keep out the mosquitos. With the t-shirt material the weave is usually much looser and allows the proboscus to penetrate and get you. A wind shirt should also do the job much better too.

Tim & Shell

@mccargoe

The Rail Riders and Noislife are button downs and almost look like a casual office shirt. It does not appear to be too comfortable. The Outdoor Research Echo shirt looks like a Under Armor shirt. I can't say I enjoy tight elastic sucking onto my body. This basically leaves the windshirts that you speak of. Windshirts pretty much look like jackets to me. Would I be better off just wearing a Rain Jacket or do people typically find these to be more breathable? Please let me know any further thoughts anyone has on matter or other ideas. Thanks.

– Tim

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

@Tim – The Outdoor Research Echo shirt looks like a Under Armor shirt

It has no elastic in it, and is not a tight compression fit, just a nice fit that is not loose and baggy…

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Columbia Tamiami shirts weigh in at 6.3 oz in size small. I normally wear medium but these are big shirts. Definitely good for bug protection and they feel cool in weather around 75 to 80.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

winshirts are MUCH more breathable than rain jackets, besides beating the bugs they do a great job of regulating temps when the wind is blowing, they also shed light rain pretty well- it's the jackknife of backpacking garments imo

a long sleeve base layer treated w/ permerthin should take care of a lot of bugs, if they get really bad (typically when your stopped)- then add the windshirt

my guess is you'll use that windshirt a heck of a lot more than just for bug protection

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

peter goes with a short sleeve merino top with collar from Minus-33 layered under a nylon or polycotton long sleeve shirt. this is the lightest combination that i have found that will run cool enough on hot days, and not be all chilly and temp swinging (annoying) in cooler weather.
    bug are not able to penetrate this combination. they will however eventually drill thru almost any form of single layer nylon shirt. this will be most often in the rear shoulder area.
    permithrin alone on merino will be found to be partially effective. absolutely much better than untreated. but it's going to fade fast on your back. remember that one of the "pluses" to permethrin, the thing that keeps it acceptably safe, is that it neutralizes quickly when exposed to sweat. sooo .. you're right back to getting nailed right thru the merino.

bottom line.
    you can ALWAYS use another merino wool short sleeve top. i know if i had 6 of them i could wear them dialy. so it's not really a "backpacking purchase" .. not really …
    and you probably already have a long sleeve shirt of the collar and buttons variety.
    so seee .. it really won't cost a anything to try this.

if bugs going to be Epic : … yes. spray everything with permethrin as suggested. do that.
    (maybe not spray the tent fly. i think it wrecks them)

also,

– sew half the cuffs closed.
    – sew velcro to the remaining opening. (convenience in getting dressed in the bush i;ll tell you )
    – install extra cuff buttons/snaps to close down the wrist opening even more.

that ought to do it shirt wise. shirts marketed along the lines of hiking/treking often have an additional mesh liner in the shoulder yoke. the liner adds another layer of depth. it's a good thing.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

A polyester fishing shirt. I have the Field & Stream version like the Columbia Tamiami mentioned above. Treat it and pants with permethrin before the trip. If long sleeves get too hot, there are fasteners to roll them up easily. It dries quickly, but isn't great at wicking because of the loose fit. Once it gets in the 70's, I'd probably go with a more breathable athletic material like a t-shirt.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools