Topic

We need a SUL Thread PLEASE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion We need a SUL Thread PLEASE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Let me stop first to genuflect the SUL guru………whew, thats done now. This thread was funny! Bradley your earlier post had me laughing hard and Daniel's latest post was great as well. Keep up the humor. I'm glad Addie stepped in to save the day on such a deep and critical issue.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

I forgot there's more to it than a title and description, but we're live. All thanks to Doug Ide for the PM getting me here! I mean really… give recognition where it's due.

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

Thanks Addie, Aaron, and Doug

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Dear Addie You babe are a most major mega babe…. and smart too. Mark said with a sheepish grin and a blush.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks a lot Addie! You're gonna ruin my rep as an unhelpful wisenheimer! I've worked hard to build that rep!

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

And Doug is a rascal. Never believe otherwise.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Shouldn't the new thread be called 'Californians who don't get any weather, no rain, no wind, perfect trails, don't need a groundsheet, no ground water, SUL thread'? :)

I resemble that remark!

But yeah, I think its cheating. Eventually I will get low for real weather. At this point its about the moneys.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Addie is Awesome!!!

Now I can ask all these questions that 99% of UL Backpackers think aren't worth asking, but are important for a SUL crazy hike.

Thnaks to everyone who pitched in on this.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Toilet paper in the backcountry is just wrong. If you want to pack it out, go ahead I guess I can't stop you from doing that, but if I have to burn another piece of GARBAGE that I've encountered in the b.c. (aka TP) I'm bound to start getting angry.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think Ide contacted Addie through some other channel

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Daniel,

Wow your have experienced some scope creep. Too much to go over in detail, but here are some suggestions:

Boots – everyone knows GTX is not good footwear. Lowa Banff's are sturdier too.

Where's the fishing gear?

Aluminum pot? – might have lead in them if made overseas. MSR makes a nice stainless steel set that is reminiscent of the old Sigg Tourist design. You need a fry pan for the fish. Coleman makes some nice cast iron ones. You might want to get rid off all this cooking stuff and get a real Dutch oven.

Bivy – seems to be missing.

Fox40 whistle – I think they are all made from plastic. Might break or melt in your campfire. Take a look at the Markwort Nickel Plated whistle with lanyard.

Plastic trowel – these can break. Go with the iPood metal trowel. The handle is a compartment to hold a small roll of toilet paper. You can save the weight of the bag you are currently using to transport your TP.

1st Aid Kit – you seem to be missing some items. Suggest you look into an Adventure Mountain Medic kit. Might also want to consider the Adventure Suture Syringe Kit just in case.

How are you going to take a shower? Take a look at the Seattle Sports 5 gallon Camp Shower, or better yet, the Coleman Hot Water on Demand LPG shower.

Colt 1911? – YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING. Those things weigh around 40 oz. Get a Beretta Px4 Special Duty (savings = 12 oz).

Spotting scope AND binoculars? – Redundant. Get a Orion BT100 Premium Binocular Telescope, with an assortment of eye pieces. The tripod can do multiple duty as a dutch oven hanger.

Nalgene – plastic? Might break or crack. Recommend a blanket covered stainless steel canteen. You won't need water pockets, the heavy duty canvas strap will let you hang it from your pack. The beauty of the blanket cover is that when wetted, the evaporation will keep your water cool. Don't accept a felt cover, wool is better.

I don't have time to review the rest, but I think your back is too small. If you get a Gregory Denali Pro105, you can use it for winter and mountaineering. Dual use. A large is 7,000 cu in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Toilet paper in the backcountry is just wrong. If you want to pack it out, go ahead I guess I can't stop you from doing that, but if I have to burn another piece of GARBAGE that I've encountered in the b.c. (aka TP) I'm bound to start getting angry"

What about all those who use TP responsibly, by which I mean either bury it 6" deep and cover it well, or burn it to a crisp in the hole before doing same? Why tar everybody with the same brush? You're the second eminence on this website to imply that anyone who uses TP is wrong and somehow morally deficient because you happen to run across the disgusting remains of irresponsible behavior by a benighted segment of the backpacking population. I don't like it either, Sam, and believe me when I say I run across it with increasing frequency as well. However, I don't extrapolate from those experiences that all use of TP is wrong, and I don't think you or Mike should either.

a b

@ice-axe

Thanks Addie!
    If you were a president you would be Babe-raham Lincoln!
    Cool I can stop whining now.. Nah, I like whining.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Tom,

Well said. BTW, when Sam and Mike are our age, they may appreciate TP, but at least they will know how to dispose of it properly :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"BTW, when Sam and Mike are our age, they may appreciate TP, but at least they will know how to dispose of it properly :)"

:)

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

Addie, we are not worthy. :)

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

If you bury your TP animals just dig it up. If you burn first be really, really careful. In my youth I worked as a seasonal Firefighter for BLM based out of the King Range Wilderness up North. During my 3 seasons we fought 2 wildfires attributed to people burning their TP. One dude was just off the beach on a grassy bluff and managed to light the place up. The other smoldered for a day or two started a low intensity fire in the old root structure of the snag they leaned against when doing their business and eventually took off for a good run eating up quite a few acres. I always pack it out…

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If you bury your TP animals just dig it up."

Not saying that can't happen, but if that were generally the case, there would be TP all over the backcountry. A lot depends on how carefully you dig, use, and refill your cathole. That said, I always go under a fairly large rock when such rocks are available, which is darn near 100% of the time where I do my backpacking, and then burn my TP.

"If you burn first be really, really careful." Uh, yeah, like either peeing on the embers or dousing with water.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

I recently took a sul trip and realized possible it was to do well with such low base weights. This subforum will be my new home!

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

Just noticed this forum tonight for the first time! I'll be posting all my crazy hacks here in hopes of someone actually appreciating them. I was proud to see my trick of Dremelling the flange off a water bottle mentioned earlier in this thread. :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"If you bury your TP animals just dig it up."

Three days ago I was hiking with my wife and dog. Mid-hike, my dog walked about 3-5 feet off the trail to sniff something. She poked her nose into the peat moss and raised her head with a large human stool in her mouth…..super gross. I couldn't believe someone dropped a deuce right next to the trail.

Anyways, thanks for the SUL forum. This is going to be perhaps the most innovative spot on here (competing with the MYOG section). My solo base is at 6 lbs (summer) to 7 lbs (3 season) right now and I'm going to be taking a close look at SUL ideas to keep that dropping.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

My dog pulled that one on me a few trips ago. Disappeared into the bushes, comes out a few minutes later with a nice wad of used TP, 5 feet of it trailing behind her.

She didn't seem to understand why I kept dunking her face in the river and rubbing sand on her mouth….

10 minutes later, she's slinking off to find more.

Everywhere I travel I usually stumble across used TP dug up by something.

Fortunately, I've been liberated for about 5 years now. Not just better for backpacking, but very practical for long distance mountain running as well.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hence the expression: a dog with a sheet eatin' grin :@)

Glad to see the SUL thread.

I'm going for it on my next backpacking trip. I've been at 5 lb. Maybe with the help of this new thread, I can get closer to 4 lb.

Sun rising here in East. Time to go run!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Wow, this should be a fun forum. I didn't even see any of this today. I actually don't even post much anymore because I'm pretty sure everyone thought I was crazy. Good to see I'm not the only one!

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Steve,

I don't think you're crazy! And, what's more, I've enjoyed your past contributions. You've really pushed things as far as new designs and such.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools