Topic

The science of Gatorade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique The science of Gatorade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I buy the ones in the packets (8 to a box), they're meant to mix w/ a 1/2 liter- no doubt cheaper if I purchased them in a large container (but not easier :))

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, the packets are handy, but they are expensive for what you get. I keep one of those packets in my emergency stash deep down inside my daypack.

The old quart-size packets were better, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I still take my 3-pound can of powder and dump some in a ziploc bag.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ agreed- I can save a little coin by buying a case (8 boxes) of the packet ones, probably still no where as cheap as buying a large can though

I tend to splurge a little more on backpacking fare then I do at home (starbucks via being a good example) :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW
    Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The author makes a good point though about the central governor model and giving up when there is no reward. I've on several occasion been "at my limit" and utterly exhausted. But given the option of an emergency bivy in cold weather or two more hours of trudging through the dark on "dead" legs…I always seem to make it back to my warm car.

As for gatorade. I love it. It needs to be diluted usually, but after mixing it at least in a 2:1 ratio gatorade to water I'm good to go.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Anybody ever heard of nondiluted gatorade causing stomach distress?

I'm not sure if I believe a story once told about it causing that, but thought I'd ask those who use it if they ever get stomach problems from drinking alot of nondiluted gatorade.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Anybody ever heard of nondiluted gatorade causing stomach distress?"

I have a stomach acid problem, and full-strength Gatorade will make it worse. I generally dilute it 50-50.

–B.G.–

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Depending on how much I've had to eat or just how strenuous I'm working, and how much I drink, full strength can upset my stomach. The worst case scenario is little food, intense physical effort, lots of gatorade in a short time. This probably parallels B.G.'s stomach acid issues.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Call me crazy but I actually think the blue Gatorade is pretty tasty… unfortunately never seen it in powder form. The only other flavors I can drink are classic orange and green. The rest is just way to sweet, makes me gag just thinking about it [gag]

BTW, it's also hard on teeth according to my dentist and the stuff actually eats up stainless steel pretty rapidly as well. It has to be processed by components made of special alloys (so it's probably not a surprise that it's hard on those with stomach issues too)

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've been an ardent proponent of Gatorade for years and like it somewhat diluted, as others have mentioned. A few years back it was rated by sports nutritionists as just as effective at rehydration as much more expensive sports drinks…and I can always find it on sale somewhere. However, this spring Powerade was on sale – the advanced electrolyte Powerade – for about $3.69 for a 1 lb can, which will mix up 2 gal. While Gatorade has only sodium, Powerade has sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium, all electrolytes lost in sweat. But this "ade", too, I prefer a bit diluted, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth. By the way, Powerade has only 13 g sugar compared to about 20 g in Gatorade. Try some, you might like it!

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

"Call me crazy but I actually think the blue Gatorade is pretty tasty… unfortunately never seen it in powder form." I've got the blue gatorade in powder and it verges on gross. I can tolerate the blue in bottles. I think I'll stick to the orange powder when I can find it.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Check walmart. they might not have it in the big can but they usually have it in the smaller plastic "jars". our grocery stores usually only have the smaller ones.

Gatorade does their taste testing and stuff with people at various degrees of exercise. Cycling i use more diluted then when i'm hiking or rock climbing.

I've started using NUUN on longer rides when i need to refill bottles. It's definitely more pricey and i try to get it when it's on sale. for those using sealed bottles. it's fizzy so either let it dissolve all the way and let some of the bubbles out or be aware of it when you open the cap :)

For me i like some sort of flavoring since i will drink more water that way than plain.

Don Morris

@hikermor

I have had an upset stomach drinking Gatorade when doing long runs (15-20 miles). Not so much of a problem when hiking, but I generally cut it 50-50 with water.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

The "thing" with Gatorade is the sucrose. If you look to the more advanced and expensive electrolyte drinks (which are typically powdered), you'll find that in addition to a host of different salts and such, they use more complex sugars that are more effectively burned and less likely to produce stomach upset. No surprise that full strength Gatorade will upset some hikers stomachs…you should see what it does for runners and cyclists.

Gatorade is fine if it works for you. There are much better products out there, however. Some are listed here in the thread.

Personally, I use one that the US Olympic coaches had their athletes using, after they tested it for effectiveness and vetted it for ingredients that could foul a blood test (it's not just 'roids that can bounce results), when an Olympic rower worked for me while she trained for Sydney: Cytomax. I actually like the orange, since it tastes like Tang but works gooderer. We've been using it in our family for years, mixed a little light, and now carry the powder on trail, too.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I figured it was the sugar causing GI upset with full strength gatorade, but another was attempting to tell me it was the sodium levels.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water is far superior and readily available. It's what rockstars use for all their boozin. There are spanish label versions of this stuff for a dollar or two cheaper.

Doh! I already posted pedialyte in this thread. Sorry for the double, But i do see they make powder packs now.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Gatorade taste just bugs me after too long, so I've gone to S-Caps and water. If I need sugar, I eat something.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

+1 on the other "ade", the full spectrum of electrolytes puts it a notch above Gatorade. Any of those powdered electrolyte drinks that contain maltodextrin (Heed, Gu Brew) work better for me on the long runs, but they come at a cost over the cheaper "Ade" drinks so are rarely bought. All the races I run usually stock aid stations with all the expensive goodies, Gatorade is nowhere to be found.

Salt tablets like S-Caps seem like a better option than carrying around Gatorade powder on hikes, but you don't get that filtered water flavor maskimg if that's partially what you're after.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I do not like to drink sugary drinks in general. I tend to drink a diet or low-sugar drink instead just to make the water more palatable and if I need energy I eat something. I haven't gotten far enough into running to know how to handle that, however.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I've seen too many hikers with a thirst problem. They don't get thirsty enough, or at least there is poor perception of thirst. As a result, they get somewhat dehydrated before they do anything about it. As a result of dehydration, they get muscle cramps and weakness.

By adding a little something to your water, you can work around this. If it is purely electrolytes, then that will cause the water to stay in the muscle tissues better. If it is purely sugars, it will just give you quick energy. Maybe you want just a touch of both. The flavor will encourage you to drink it even if you don't think you are that thirsty.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

it was wrongly stated that Gatorade doesn't have Potassium- it does (little more than Powerade actually), what it does have is about twice the Sodium though- which evidently some think is pretty important

gatorade vs powerade

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Doh! I already posted pedialyte in this thread. Sorry for the double, But i do see they make powder packs now."

If you are interested in Pedialyte, a much cheaper option is to buy oral rehydration salts from Jianis Brothers. They sell the official WHO rehydration formula used to rehydrate cholera/dysentery victims in ~1.1 oz packets. The formula is a combo of glucose, sodium compounds and potassium compounds. I used it for years, diluted to half strength and flavored with Crystal Lite. It works very well, but I have since switched to a 2 bottle system: one bottle of Perpetuem and one of plain water with Morton's Lite salt(1 liter with 3-4 grams of Morton's).

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Perpetuem contains a significant amount of sodium and potassium, why the addition of Morton's salt in bottle #2?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Perpetuem contains a significant amount of sodium and potassium, why the addition of Morton's salt in bottle #2?"

The sodium(220 mg) is significant but not adequate for me over the course of 4 hours working hard at elevations around 11,000'. The potassium(75 mg) is insignificant in the context of an RDA of 3000 mg/day. The qualifier here is that 2 packets of Perpetuem are all I eat between breakfast and dinner, relying on body fat for the rest of my calories. The Morton's Lite salt provides ~370 mg of potassium and 280 mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp, and I add 1/4 tsp to a liter of water, which last me ~4 hours. I use 2 liters on a typical day, which provides ~740 mg of potassium and 560 mg of sodium in addition to that provided by the Perpetuem, enough to almost completely eliminate the cramps I used to get. YMMV.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

From the interesting link posted above:

"Viewed scientifically, the differences between Gatorade and Powerade are small, with neither beverage appearing clearly superior to the other."

Rehydration solution recommended The Backpacker's Field Manual p. 329:

1/4 t salt
    1/4 t baking soda
    4 t sugar or honey
    1 qt/L water

BFM also states: "Sports replacement drinks like Gatorade are too high in carbohydrates and should not be used for cases of severe dehydration."

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools