Topic

Four Pass Loop – July 5-7, 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Four Pass Loop – July 5-7, 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Pretty snowy, but a fantastic trip. I put some pictures up on Flickr which might help someone who's wondering about conditions in that area.

Maroon Lake, Maroon Bells

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Great pictures, thanks.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

wow!

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Congrats on completing the loop under those conditions. I tried under similar conditions in 2008 — one look at Buckskin Pass and then one look at Maroon Creek and I said no way. Went back the next year, and was successful.

I know what you mean about sucking wind — almost sea level to 9000+ feet in a few days. Looking down into Fravert Basin from Frigid Air Pass was one of the most awe inspiring sights I have ever experienced…

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Thanks guys.

John–I have to admit that I had a few tense moments. Buckskin was the most intimidating pass of the trip, so I can relate. Congrats on going back and gettin r done.

I'd really like to go back in the Fall with the colors going off and the elk bugling. Part of the reason I wanted to go when I did, though, was to experience it in solitude (which I understand is pretty rare when conditions are better). I got plenty of that and it felt like a much longer trip (in a very good way).

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Wow, brings me back…

I did this about 3yrs ago (nearly to the day…). It was my first backpacking trip (hellava introduction imo). Have yet to get close to topping this trip (even though my pack weight started in the 50s).

There was a lot of snow on my trip as well (not quite this much though) — I remember one particuarly hairy incident coming down to snowmass lake.

I'll have to post a few pics when I get time.

EDITED to add a few pics (recognize any Brian?)

From West Maroon Pass

from Frigid Air Pass

Snowmass Lake

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thanks for sharing. It is a wonderful loop. To have it in near solitude? Even more so!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools