Topic

sleeping bag questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleeping bag questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Robin

@happakidd

Locale: Northern California

Hey all, I think this is my first post!! Too much lurking and not enough posting. Anyways, I am planning a JMT thru-hike for late august and am looking through my sleeping bags for what to bring (I would rather not buy another). I have a REI sub-kilo that would definitely work temperature wise but at 32oz i'm hoping for something a bit lighter. I also have a Sierra designs wicked light long (45 degree; 24oz semi rectangular bag with continuous baffles). I did some goofing around with this bag, and figured out that i can shake the down to the top and place my pad inside the sleeping bag on top of the empty baffles on the bottom of the bag. In this configuration, the baffles are 3-3.5" tall, which should make for a really warm bag, and since i'm super short i can even pull the bag over my head (i'm a stomach sleeper). This configuration seems really similar to a quilt setup (with lots of extra fabric). Has anyone tried anything like this? I am taking a few trips to yosemite and desolation before the JMT, so i can try this configuration out but any input would be appreciated.

Kevin Robin

@happakidd

anyone see issues with this??; one test trip down but unfortunately (and fortunately) yosemite only got down to 50 this last weekend; so i didn't even need to zip the bag up.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Kevin
    The reason why most have not tried your configuration is simply because they would not be able to put a mat and themselves inside a sleeping bag.
    IF you can fit in there and not compress the down on top of you too much, then it makes sense to do it when you need to.
    Another trick of course is to wear extra clothing.
    I find that it is very important to have clean clothing against the skin at night , so if you have a clean layer, then layer up.
    Franco

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Personally I'd just carry the 2lb bag rather than trying to stuff a pad in there. I carried a 2lb bag for over 4000 miles and it never caused me too much grief. I have a lighter one now but to be honest I doubt I could tell the difference in pack weight between the two.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I have the Wicked Light. (Have both bags, actually.) I can understand shaking all the down toward the top but what's the advantage of putting the pad inside the bag?

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Quick, someone burn the heretic! :)

Kevin Robin

@happakidd

lol @ burn the heretic; I was looking at the two options mainly because the wicked light is way more comfortable than the subkilo, its semi rectangular cut so i am swimming in it; thats why the pad on the inside; and I can put it on top of the zipper to keep the drafts to a minimum and keep the down from migrating. Just wondering if the logic is sound, the weight savings is a secondary benefit; i'm just afraid of being cold; i'll have fleece socks; midweight baselayers and a down jacket to keep me warm inside the bag; just making sure i'm not missing anything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools