Topic

Erik the Black JMT trail guide 25% off til the 19th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Erik the Black JMT trail guide 25% off til the 19th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Erik the Black is having a summer sale on all his maps and guides. I figure most people have already started the longer trails (PCT, CDT etc) but for those JMT hikers that haven't purchased a guide, this may be worthwhile.

http://johnmuirtrailmap.com/online-store-2/

Oh, and its lightweight (2.5oz)

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderooscomcast-net

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Konrad have you used this JMT guide and did you find it useful. I'll be hiking the JMT this september and I'm just organizing my kit.

Thanks

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Francis,

I've purchased Erik's Atlas for my upcoming trip. The maps looks to be the same scale as the Harrison maps. I like that the all the maps are self-contained in one lightweight book that can fit in a side or back pocket, and can keep dry in a quart ziplock. I lost one of the Harrison maps the second week I owned it – at home! So, self-contained is good for me. I'm no expert, but I like it.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Francis. Sorry, I've never used it. I just picked it up for my upcoming JMT hike this Sept. But based on what I can see…it's a lot more intuitive than some other guides I've picked up (e.g. the one by Elizabeth Wenk). I also got the Harrison maps, but I will probably be selling those now that I've picked up Erik's guide. The topography lines are easier to interpret (print quality) on the Harrison Maps, but Erik's maps are more clearly marked, with more points of interest/features (e.g. I can easily see switch backs, mileage between points, camps) If I was really worried about navigation (earlier months, with snow over the trail) I would stick with the harrison maps for their broader scope, since eriks maps, while the same scale, are divided into smaller pages. Another plus for Erik's guidebook is his readily accessible elevation profile charts. I would signup for a free preview of his guidebook (he emails you a couple of pages from it) to see if it works for you. To me, its the difference between owning a Mac and PC–his guidebook is just extremely user friendly.

But keep in mind, if you're an extreme gram counter, the harrison maps would be lighter since you can mail the relevant portions to your food drop. Also, the harrison ones are waterproof/tearproof but Erik's guide is not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools