Topic

I cut down my NeoAir…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear I cut down my NeoAir…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

and it works! Followed Steve Evans instructions on http://www.suluk46.com and I got a a 36" pad (after making a mistake and having to re-cut about 1.5" off) out of it. Put it in a bathtub and didn't get any bubbles. Left weights on it overnight and wasn't able to detect any leakage. Heading up to Thousand Island Lake next week so I'll be able to field test it and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I do have the other section (roughly 34") and I'd like to give it to someone on this site, if you think you can put it to good use. Just message me and I'll get it out as soon as I can.

Starting weight = 14oz
    End weight = 7.6 oz

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'd be interested in the other half, I think (???) I could figure installing out a new valve.
    I'm in the LA area too, would gladly meet up to get it.

I'll send a PM if nobody else has.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Send me a PM if you want to meet up. I'm sure we can figure it out.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sweet, thanks. Might be a touch short for me, but if I can get it re-sealed it'll be a great pad for my son or daughter.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

The sealing was really easy, you just have to really work the corners down with the iron. Putting in a valve might be a bit of a challenge but I'm not hip to all the MYOG stuff (yet). I'll keep it for you until we figure out a pickup date/time.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I ordered a kit from REI with the valve and glue. I am going to use hole punch with a piece of wood to make hole then try to seal it with the glue supplied.

Joe Szacon
    BPL Member

@chunkaszac

Did the hot seal valve kit work for you?

I scored a neoair for $14 today at an REI garage sale. The seam is blown directly in the middle (lucky!). It'd be great to cut it in half and get two for 90% off the price of one.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I cut down my NeoAir Large from the standard length to 47 inches, which got it down to 10.85 ounces.

I took the parts I cut off and released them with a replacement valve and ended up with two 25 inch wide pillows.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Erik,
    Great! Glad it worked out for you. I still have mine and have been using it for about 2 years since I modified it, no leaks whatsoever. Let us know how it goes out there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools