Topic

Need help from Karo Step quilt experts!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need help from Karo Step quilt experts!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I am about to embark on making my first Karo Step quilt, so I need some guidance. But, a bit of background first.

I have made several down quilts, including hammock underquilts and wearable quilts, so I know my way around a sewing machine and baffles and all that. I also understand the mechanics of how to construct a Karo Step quilt.

However, what I don't know is:
    1. How far apart to make the baffles (size of the squares) for a given thickness of quilt.
    2. How much space I should leave open at the corners of the baffled squares.
    3. How high the baffles should be relative to the average thickness of the quilt.

The dimensions are 80” long by 48” wide.
    I will use 7 ounces of 800 FP down which will fill the quilt to 1.46” thick, call it 1.5”.

So, while I would know how to proceed with a conventional baffled quilt, I have no experience to know the answers to my 3 questions above as they pertain to the Karo Step.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

1/2 the standard i have seen is 12" box with 6" sides, however i have used 10" box with 6" sides and now use 14" box with 6" sides leaving a 4" gap on each side of the box or 8" between baffles. This same setup has been used on 2.25" and 3" loft quilts. I have no plans to use a different setup for 1.5" quilts.

3 This doesn't change from a standard baffled quilt. I do .25-.5" shorter than finished loft others do 80% i believe. On this quilt with only 1.5" loft i would use 3/4" high finished baffles to help control the small amount of down (less down always needs more control). You could also use the 12/6 or 10/6 spacing to give a little more control. I wouldn't go smaller than 10/6 or bigger than 16/6(Jerry W) for any quilt. 1.5" loft is border line candidate for sewn through which is why i would use 3/4"-1" finished baffle height to keep the down under control and still be warmer than sew through.

I am not the final word on this but i think you would do fine with any of the above.

-Tim

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Thanks Tim,
    The thiness of the quilt has me worried the most. Like you say, there is less room for error.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools