Topic

Hermits Hut

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Hermits Hut

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I only ordered from them once. I didn’t have any problems. They had the best price I found at Google on this item. Because I haven’t had much experience with them, I will just give them a 4 rating .

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

We can visit the Hermit Hut store in Redding … so we get to deal with them direct … even though we have also ordered from them.

They are great, responsive, and their in store information is great. They are true avatars of the UL movement, checking out and testing gear by personal experience. That makes all the difference, so I would even call them up if there is a question regarding gear, its quality, wearability, weight, etc.

Update: I just went into the shop and discussed snow tent stakes with the staff. They admitted they were out of things like snow flukes and could order them. But, they spent time with me discussing better designs, and cheaper designs which anyone could make at home with a little Spectra cord and a baggy. That to me is service. Also, they are going to check out my partners mukluks to see how well the mukluks will work with her snow shoes — even though they didn't sell us the snow shoes.

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

I have only purchased one item from Hermit's Hut and the product and the shipping were pretty good. CS was mostly helpful, but would not allow a return without the 15% restocking fee. (I felt that this was not warranted because of the product description–the weight, but they never returned by email regarding this issue.) But they do seem to offer great products at good prices.

Updated: They did contact me to inform me. Also were helpful with product information.

Barnett Childress

@barnett_childress

Locale: New England

Purchased a WM bag from them. They had the best online price. Was listed as in stock but was not. However they got me one ASAP and kept in contact with me thu the process.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

My Christmas present to myself was a WM Flight Jacket, which I ordered from Hermit's Hut. It was wrapped by the kids before I got to see it, and as luck would have it, it was the one present I was allowed to unwrap on Christmas Eve. To my astonishment, it wasn't a Flight Jacket, it was a Vapor! A $50 upgrade at no cost…apparently they ended up being out of the Flight in my size and didn't want me to be empty-handed for Christmas! They certainly have earned more business from me, and I appreciate their Christmas spirit.

Matt Smith

@matts123

I ordered a product that was advertised "on sale" through this company, called and confirmed that it was in stock (so that the sale price is valid according to their terms and conditions) placed my order right away… 20 minutes later they deny having it in stock and want me to reorder at the NEW higher sale price.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I would caution anyone doing business with this company. I ordered a GoLight Ion on 2/18.

They ran my card on 2/19. They didn't call until a week later and said that it was no longer available.

Three weeks later and I still have not recieved my money back after they flubbed my order.

Numerous calls to them, and they always say someone will call me back but they never do.

Avoid them like the plague.

gl

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

I just purchased two WM Ultralite bags from HH and they arrived today. I got an email to say when they were shipped and the shipped free from America to Australia. Couldn't be happier.

T. G.

@tglaze

be careful what you order. I ordered boots and there was a size discrepancy. It took over a month to return them and have my account credited. Not only that, but they charged a $40 re-stocking fee. I've never seen such a charge when returning an item.

Ken Taylor

@opsguy

In response to T.G.'s review, I am very familiar with the situation and need to explain the "size discrepency" was related to the fact that T.G. recieved exactly the boot she ordered, but attempted to convince the store they shipped the wrong boot because the size marker on the boot showed a size smaller than she ordered… which was true. Scarpa uses UK sizing markers, but HH uses US Sizing (clearly stated on the page) for ordering purposes to make it easier on the majority of its customers. T.G. insisted that due to HH shipping the "wrong boot", all fees & shipping should be waived… HH didn't see it that way and was still willing to work with her. Along comes another order from TG for TWO MORE pair of identical boots in TWO different sizes that she wanted shipped. Before shiping the boots HH contacted TG to ask if she really needed both or intended to (yet again) return one or both of them. TG informed HH to just cancel the order as she had found a pair of used boots for $75. The entire process did take awhile, but there was a great deal of communication and several efforts made to service, appease and please T.G. If you'd like more information, I ENCOURAGE you to contact me (Ken) at 888-507-4455… we want you to buy with confidence knowing we know our stuff and will take very good care of you, fulfilling any reasonable request you may have.

Oh… one other thing. HH offers FREE SHIPPING on any purchase over $99 so shipping mountaineering boots back and forth at the expense of HH soon diminishes any margin as most items are already on sale for 18 to 20% off at the HUT.

Catherine Hunn.

@sherpawoman

Locale: Utah

i bought a Marmot Col quite a few years ago from HH. Their price was the lowest I could find. Their service was great.
    I recently bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur from them. Again it was the lowest price online. They kept me updated and shipped without any problem.

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

I'm headed for northern Canada and wanted the WM Down Pants. My time was very short before departure and I couldn't find my size in stock anywhere. HH got WM to drop ship the pants 2nd day air with no extra charge for the shipping upgrade. I know that they had to work hard to make this happen. Much appreciated.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I recently purchased a bivy sac and realized that it wouldn't work for me even before it arrived. I called them and told them I'd be returning it and was informed that they would charge me a 15 percent restocking fee. After speaking with them further, however, they were happy to waive the restocking fee. I also learned about why they sometimes charge a restocking fee, which in some circumstances is very appropriate. I will buy from them again.

charley hardman

@ckluigi

written above: "If you'd like more information, I ENCOURAGE you to contact me (Ken) at 888-507-4455"

okay. that's what i just did, explaining to the normal "is there something i can help you with" employee line that i was a potential new customer, following ken's general advice to speak to him directly. wanted to verify that the exact items i wanted were in stock, and be assured there would be no runaround. he was busy speaking with a contractor, and i was told that 20 or 30 minutes later would be a good time to call.

no problem. called 30 minutes later, and immediately ran into a gauntlet of hemming/hawing interference. explained that i was following the explicit instructions ken supposedly left on a message board, but if they weren't his, or it didn't apply anymore, that was fine; just let me know. may i speak with him?

"well, it's just that i don't know which message board you're talking about."

ken, if that really was you writing above, i tried twice. no third. if you can't convey to your employees your general communication offer to the public, i don't want to roll the dice and end up as some of the complaints i've read.

Joseph Weipert

@fishermancoloradoyahoo-com

I had been to Hermit's Hut website looking for a cold weather sleeping bag. I did find one on sale that I liked, along with a pair of hiking boots that were on sale. This stuff was ordered on a Saturday. On the following Monday I recieved a call from HH stating that the sleeping bag I was looking for would not be available for a few months as the manaufacturer would take this long to get more. HH did not charge my card anything until I figured out what I wanted to do. I ended up getting a Western Mountaineering Bison V GWS bag(which I love!!) I was appreciative of HH correspondence through the whole process. I also got free overfill on the bag (which is offered on the website). Great company, good prices, and good customer service. I would definetly buy from them again!!

Jordan Sellers

@foo103

My experience with Hermit's Hut was AWFUL. But, I guess you get what you pay for. I found that they offered the Gregory Baltoro 65 for the cheapest online and decided to order from them. Big mistake. I placed my order June 5th, hoping to take it on a trip to Belize June 20th. A few days after placing my order, I get an email telling me that to do not actually have the color I ordered in stock, so I had to pick another color. A week or so passed and I had heard nothing from them, so I emailed them asking where my pack was. I then got an email saying something along the lines of it should be here any day. Days passed with no bag being delivered, so I called them to talk to someone. The first person I talked to said he would call me back, and never did. I called an hour later and found out that they had none in stock and were not sure when they would. Why in the hell they did not inform me of this earlier, I have no idea. Now, the rep I was talking to says he will order the bag directly from Gregory and ship it to me, 2nd day air. Problem is, this is Thursday, I need it Saturday. I made it very clear I needed it Saturday but he said over nighting it would be too expensive. On Saturday, I call to ask for a tracking number, and he tells me he has none and to expect it on Monday. I tell him this doesn't help me, I made it clear I needed it on Saturday, and the jack ass hangs up on me. Worst shopping experience of my life. I now have to scramble to come up with a bag to take on my 10 trip to Belize with. I will NEVER shop with the atrocious Hermit's Hut again and I warn you to be careful when ordering from these incompetent idiots.

robert west

@pmwdrgn7

Nice small company , good pricing, great sales. Nice people on the phone.

– a star

My only complaint is that these people always assure you they will call you right back, take your number every time (on file?) then almost never do they are a bit dis organized but loveable all the same. the way they do refunds seems to take an inordinate amount of time. one to three weeks?

Gary McDowall

@clanmcdbpl

Ordered DragonFly Stove, great price. No response to 1St email regarding when it would be sent. Then telephone callto them on Saturday, informed that it would be most likely sent Monday, their shipping people do not work on weekends. Sent emails 2 on Monday as site did not indicate item mailed. Telephone call to company answered with I'll check on it, and get back to you, again, with no followup or response.

Today telephone call, there was a "mishap" item needs to be replaced and sent by manufacturer and it would be sent upon receipt…sound familiars to other complaints. Then the we are a small company and our internet business grew beyond our expectations…most other companies do not use "growth" as an excuse and have incorporated the systems and people necessary to accommodate their "growth" to meet customers needs. Person in shipping was curt and rude when I stated I wanted to cancel order. Said they would credit credit card….hmmm…
    In many years of online purchases, this is possibly the worst, if it takes another call to get the credit, it will be… I would never do business with them and although their rhetoric is good, there words do not correlate to their deeds. Avoid them is an understatement.

Received quick response on refund.. relief…Alas that does not eliminate an apparent pattern of delayed response, words with little substance and the it now must be sent from the manufacturer.

Melvin Udall

@melvinudall

WORST EVER …… STAY CLEAR OF THIS AWFUL SHOP !!!

In many years of online shopping this one is without the doubt the worst

In May I have ordered 2 dry sacks, sleeping pad and a tent. Waited patiently 4 weeks and nothing, than sent an email.
    Reply: we are waiting for a tent but THE OPERATIONS MANAGER (?) has allowed to send you 3 items and the tent will be send separately. OK, the 3 items arrived
    2 more weeks … no tent. email … no reply, email … no reply, phone call … Cody, the guy in charge of internet sales had no answers
    Another email … reply from Rich G (Manager/Buyer/Ski Tech/IT department): there are problems with vendor – soon we will have it. 2 weeks go by … nothing. I ask for refund which is a simple electronic transaction. Another 2 weeks go by … nothing. Another phone call …. finally refund done over the phone

But ….. I live in Sydney, Australia and the original shipping charges for the TOTAL order were $100, the shipping of 2 sacks and a pad was $40

So all in all I am $60 out of pocket and don't have the tent after 3 months of waiting, several emails and a few international phone calls

Currently I am emailing them re: refund me outstanding $60 in shipping charges for the tent I have not received but honestly I don't see it being a success story as all my emails remain unanswered

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Just bought a WM Alpinlite from Bob and Co at Hermits Hut. They are pleasant to work with, have overfill included and make accommodation for SAR / Government OPS folks. Honest and responsive. Folks banter on here a lot about things, buying local, sustainable, rage against the megastores…etc… This is a brick and mortar place making a living in unfavorable times. They have my vote!

taetum shelyn
    Spectator

@dryftin

Locale: changes often

I have delt with the hermits hut for years and purchessed sevral items from them including 3 WM bags ! A couple of years ago there were some issues but last year bob the owner for over 40 years came back to run the place and took out the trash and hired a couple very knowledgeable guys to bring the place back up to speed! Just talked to the guys over the last couple weeks in the process of getting my new Westernmountaineering summerlite and these guys really have some experience between them they were able to answer questions about everything i asked about and bob told me he will pay out of his pocket for overfill on wm bags for anyone who asks ! So glad BOBS back

Adrian Adams
    Spectator

@adrianadams

Locale: Northern Arizona

Ordered a WM Alpinlite, and waited three and a half weeks for the bag to arrive. Called five times over the course of a few days to try and find out when it would arrive with no answer during business hours. Finally got a call back to say it was "back ordered". Received the bag and it is overfilled which I did not request. The bag weighs a quarter pound heaver than it should. Have called three times so far to find out if they will exchange it but no answer. I am afraid to send it back, who know what the turn around time would be and it is almost impossible to get anyone on the phone.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I called a few different shops and decided that I'd do business with Hermits Hut. It was a really easy transaction. I called and Bob, the owner, answered. I asked about stock and they had one left and so we came to an agreement. He took my info over the phone rather than me ordering on line, which I appreciated very much since I wanted to verify availability. It shipped the next day and arrived three days later. Perfect packaging and everything as I ordered.

I did notice a few folks who complained based on availability. So I suggest just making the call to verify. It made for a seamless transaction. Would definitely do business with Bob and Hermits Hut again.

FYI – The Megalite is a 30* bag and noted to be 24 oz on WMs website. Hermits Hut sells bags with a gratis 2 oz overstuff and mine weighed 25.33 oz, so spot on. This also came in the new blue material.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools