Topic

Steripen Opti Sheath

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Steripen Opti Sheath

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

Hey All,

I've been searching around trying to find some insight on sheaths for the steri-pen. I haven't found any MYO sheaths, does anybody have any suggestions or examples of what they've made?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I don't see why bubble wrap wouldn't work.

-Jace

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

If you freezer bag cook, you could (re?)make a cozy for your freezer bag, that will also hold the s'pen when you're not cozy'ing (a technical term, I'm sure, if you ask the right people) a meal: Reflectix from the hardware store, or Thinsulbright from the fabric store.
    -Bubble wrap would work, something aesthetic made from rip-stop could hide the bubble wrap if that matters
    -use the pair of sleeping socks?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Why do you need a sheath?

There's a cover over the business end to protect it.

Will Webster

@willweb

"Why do you need a sheath?

There's a cover over the business end to protect it."

Lemme tell you a story:

Last November, when we reached our first campsite in the Grand Canyon, my wife collected the water bottles, dug the Steripen (Journey) out of her pack and stuck it in her pockets, and walked to the water source. When she bent down the Steripen popped out of her pocket – orange cover still in place – and fell onto rock. It still looked fine, even showed the smiley face, but the lamp wouldn't light. Fortunately I'm paranoid enough that we had enough ClO2 tabs for drinking water to get us to Indian Garden, and enough extra alcohol to bring all our "cooking" water to a full boil instead of my normal barely simmering.

The repair wasn't cheap; I still use it but I don't take it for granted.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Steripen is at highest greatest when you have it uncovered to use it, and I'll bet 99% of the time that is next to a stream or lake with lots of rocks about. A sheath isn't going to do a thing for you there. Most of the time, the Steripen is safely packed with my other gear.

My point is, if you prepare for every eventuality and you'll have a 50 pound pack again. It's no different than an unnecessary stuff sack.

I alway carry ClO2 tablets as backup. Stuff happens and they are light.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

You guys all bring up good points. I like the idea of the thinsulbright, need to pick some up for my cozy anyhow.

Was just looking for a little bit extra safety for my steripen. Would much rather have a little safety net than none at all. After all, it wasn't cheap for such a small, yet useful, item.

Rodney On Da Rock

@rogergemini

it also doubles as finger/hand first aid bandage, or a poorman water(balloon-style) container. don't use it as BC before or after.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I alway carry ClO2 tablets as backup."

Dale, is there a long shelf life on those tablets?

(I've only used liquid drops.)

–B.G.–

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"I alway carry ClO2 tablets as backup."

"Dale, is there a long shelf life on those tablets?"

Don't know about the effective life of the chlorine, but I've had them disintegrate and delaminate the foil packaging in a couple years..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

They probably designed the packaging that way!

Back in the old days, iodine compounds used to eat the packaging. I just didn't know that chlorine compounds would as well.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools