Topic

FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole — modified to 6.9oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole — modified to 6.9oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Is that camera mount screw BSW thread or UNC?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I decided to go with the foam grips suggested above. I ordered the 6×1/2 and will trim to my liking when I get 'em.

I happen to have a pair of older REI Summit aluminum, two section, twist-lock poles that I bought for my children years ago. I still use them but only when I go snowshoeing / ice&snow hiking. Im not really a pole guy for regular hiking – I honestly cant stand the constant clickity-clak noise they make when people are hiking with them – but to each his own – even if it bothers the rest of us. A great invention for the MYOG group would be a completely silent hiking pole (leave it at home?) Ha. But I digress… Anyway, Ive never had problems with the twist lock suddenly collapsing, etc. However, I never really liked the stock hard rubber grip, so this BPL thread was perfect.

After boiling them in some water, the grips slid off and they now weigh 4 7/8 oz each, basket included. The OD of the pole at the grip area is 0.6". Ill post the final weight when I install the new Mudhole grips and the old straps. And when Im all done, Ill leave them at home :)

William F

@wkf

Locale: PNW

Has anyone found these Outdoor Products single camlock trekking poles in the Portland, OR area?

I had an idea for a camera mount on a trekking pole. These are easily found at your local bike shop for a few bucks, http://www.jensonusa.com/!RU40Jf331q6dyZ8bs7ClvQ!/Planet-Bike-Clamp-Kit?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CLS7ovfvvbwCFU5efgodpyQAPA.

You could epoxy the male part to your camera or something like that. The female part moves vertically once secured to the trekking pole. I haven't done this but the bracket weighs a few grams, costs a couple bucks new, and has the ability to swivel vertically.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Going back to that tripod screw sticking out…
    This could work.
    Get hold of a champagne cork top.
    Cut off the bit that goes inside the bottle.
    Drill a hole in the base so that you can screw this adaptor inside it :
    tripod mount adaptor
    (called tripod mount thread adaptor)
    put some glue on the outside of the thread so that it will stay in place.
    you now have a cork top that can screw on and off that tripod screw.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

For those of you who have replaced the stock grips with foam, what are you using to plug the hole at the top of the grip?

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools