Topic

Cooking on the JMT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cooking on the JMT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What stoves have the people that have thrued the JMT used? I know there's alot of options, just curious because of the altitude. Being from MN, I don't have to worry about it here at all.

Thanks for your help!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Caldera Keg-H

And it's going again. Altitude makes no difference. (at least up to 14,000')

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Last year I used the Caldera Keg-F, while my sons shared a JetBoil. We will do the same this year (only this time my daughters will share the JetBoil). Both – alcohol and canister stove – worked fine under all conditions we encountered – including cooking breakfast on top of Mt. Whitney below freezing.

Enjoy your trip,

Manfred

Anonymous
    Inactive

So a Canister stove should work fine by the looks of things then, thanks for the help. I'll be cooking for 3, if it was just myself, I'd be using an alcohol stove.

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

We used a Caldera Cone with a 1.3L Evernew pot for two of us for the first ten days, and the last four days we had four people. It worked great, even for four.

Whoever had the meals with the longest wait time (all freezer bag cooking) were started first. Depending on the amount of water needed, we could heat two-three meals worth of water at a time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've never used one, but I don't use Mountain House or any freezed dried meals, so I actually cooking real food for 3 probably isn't a good fit for an alcohol stove.

I used an alchie on the AT for just me and it was fine, but cooking for 3 may not be the best.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Alcohol stoves can be so light, why not take one per person?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you are cooking one pot meals for 3 people I am going to hedge you use a 2L or bigger pot? (At least when I cook for the family I have to use one that big due to the teenager eating for 2).
    With that yes a canister stove does work better.

Freezer bag cooking isn't the same as freeze-dried meals btw! It is making up meals at home using a mix of dehydrated, freeze-dried and other components. And while traditionally the meals are prepared in a freezer bag (hence the name) you can prepare all those meals in a pot as well – where one boils the water and adds the dry ingredients in, then you simply let your meal sit for 10-15 minutes and it is dinner time. See my profile for my links if you want more info!

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's true that alchie stoves are darn light, but besides needing 3 stoves, you'll then also need 3 pots.

Sarah-You're absolutely right, when I thru hiked the AT, I didn't eat a single "Mountain House" or other meal like that.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For long trips the word is that alcohol is actually heavier (after 4 days) than canister stoves W/ foil windscreens.

I use a Trail Designs Ti Sidewinder and ESBIT tabs for longer distances. One tab per meal (but that only works with a CC stove).

Michael Sagehorn

@msagehorn

The stove choice depends on the menu. Four people cooking, not simply rehydrating food takes more burn time. When I "cook" food, not simply boiling water I go back to my old and ancient Svea 123 or my Whisperlight. Neither have failed me and the fuel weight is accepted to ensure well prepared hot food.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Canister works fine. There are even quite a few opportunities to pick up additional fuel along the way: Yosemite Valley, Tuolomne Meadows, Reds Meadow, VVR and Muir Trail Ranch.

I keep my canister in my tent at night and warm it up for a couple of minutes in the sleeping bag before I boil my water for morning coffee.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools