Topic

Linville Gorge Wilderness Trip Suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Linville Gorge Wilderness Trip Suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Howdy,

I'm heading out to the Linville Gorge Wilderness in the Pisgah National Forest (Western NC) in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone out there has been to the area (especially recently) and has any good suggestions for trips/loops/trailheads/etc. I'm open to all suggestions. I just grabbed the Forest Service 1:24,000 map of the area (these are really great maps, especially if you like to nerd out on some route-finding as I do – much better than the Nat-Geo IMHO) so I should be able to understand/check out any specific recommendations. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Nate, Here is a link to a trip report I did for Linville Gorge some time back.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17499/index.html?skip_to_post=133551#133551

Only problem with that loop is it used a good bit of the road. I went back last December and did a shorter loop that was all trails but used the unpublished "Lead Mine" trail to connect from the end of the Gorge back to the MTS trail. I parked in Wolf Pit then hiked the trail to the MTS trail and headed north. I camped on a small ridge area several miles from Table Rock. Next morning I hiked to Table Rock then to Spence Ridge trail down into the gorge. I hiked south along the river and camped that night a couple miles from the end of the wilderness boundary. Next morning I hiked to the end of the trail and found the Lead Mine trail. It is steep in places and can be a challenge to follow but is surprising marked with a sign and old blue blazes. It climbs you out of the gorge to MTS. I headed north (if I have my directions correct) back to the river then forded the river (it was cold in December) then continued back to Wolf Pit trail back to my truck. I was hiking just days before Christmas so the days were short. It was a great loop. If there was significant rain I suspect the river may become unfordable.

Hope this helps, Jamie

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

You might want to join the Linville Gorge forum. It's pretty active and can answer all of your questions. Ken(the site admin) also has great maps and GPS downloads.

http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php

Jerry

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Jerry, Thanks for adding the Linville Gorge Forum information. I should have credited them as the source of most of my information. I highly recommend joining the group if you plan to hike the gorge. They have produced a large JPG showing all the GPS locations of trails and features across the entire gorge. Its a great map but does not really fit well on a single 8.5 x 11 page since it is so long and narrow.

I have split the images into a top, middle and bottom images that print well on 3 pages that can be used as maps. If anyone wants the printable pics/maps just send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

Jamie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools