Topic

Lake Vernon-Hetch Hetchy Reservoir

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lake Vernon-Hetch Hetchy Reservoir

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

The Deadly Falls

Hetch Hetchy

Tony Wong with endless energy!

The fisherman Jeremy Pendry at Lake Vernon

The mosquito hatch is coming soon!

The new and improved Alpinlite 2.0 Bug Shelter (15.8oz)

Fast moving water

Mr. Rainbow Trout in the House!!!

Jeremy reeling one in.

This was another great trip to Yosemite with minimal mosquitos, lots of heat and great fishing with friends. Cameron, Tony and Jeremey are all training for the JMT in August and they were nice enough to let me tag along. THANKS

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Very nice. I was also out there Saturday night, but on the other side of the reservoir. We hiked up to Smith Peak from Mather. Excellent views from up there. I'll post some pics tonight. Were you able to hike the loop or was that trail by the "deadly falls" closed?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Chris, We just did a out and back to Lake Vernon-11 miles roughly. It was really hot on Saturday for sure. We probably ran into each other at sometime?? That's a great area of Yosemite to backpack!

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When you guys were going up to Lake Vernon, you went through a trail junction that is marked on the map as the Beehive. I think it is several miles before you get to the lake.

How much snow was there deep in the woods at the Beehive?

–B.G.–

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

None near the trail, splotches big enough for a few snowballs visible from trail.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I saw one patch of snow at Beehive and no snow anywhere else on the trail to Lake Vernon— Snow was just at the higher elevations north of Lake Vernon. Summer is officially in the Sierras! The mosquitos are going to be INSANE in a week or two!!!!!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Nice TR, and thanks for sharing.

Nice to see some areas are without forest fires or record 400% snowfall. Just slightly envious. Enjoy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That seems like good information, finally. So many snow reports before now have been pretty serious. I think I will go get my feet wet in a week or two. Maybe the mosquitos are busy putting away their skis for the season.

–B.G.–

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Great TR and pics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice. I'm jealous. Really need to make it down there some time.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Jay: Thanks for posting the pics and for coming on the trip. I enjoyed it. Nice to be back in the Sierra for the season.

For those concerned about conditions, snow was gone to at least 7,500 feet, and looked to be scarce and on north-facing slopes on surrounding peaks up to about 8,400. Not sure what it looks like above that. Water is the bigger concern. All the creeks are swollen and raging big time.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It was great to get everyone back together for a trip after doing the TRT together.

Was nice to have a relaxing trip and just hanging out together at the lake and to try out new ideas and things in preparation for the JMT.

Great to see all the water there to fill up Hetch Hetchy…no more drought!!!

Funny side note: While on the trail a group of backpackers asked us if we frequently hiked to Lake Vernon because we looked familiar to them. Turns out that they had read one of the photo essays I had done and recognized us!

Jay- thanks for posting up the pictures!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

"Not sure what it looks like above that"

An acquaintance who just returned from a week-long trip above Hetch Hetchy said that above 9,000 feet and in all of the high country there is still "deep winter", that creeks are high and sometimes impassable, and at the lower levels where snow has just melted many trails are flooded, especially in meadow areas or near lakes, sometimes up to waist deep.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Tunnel Vision

Hetch Hetchy Dam with crazy water flow!

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Great trip report. Thinking of taking my daughter backpacking (with a little fishing) in that area in a couple weeks. Hope the mosquitos are not to ferocious :-)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Quality, thanks Jay.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools