Topic

Mystery surrounds case of missing Colorado hikers (BPL Hiker)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mystery surrounds case of missing Colorado hikers (BPL Hiker)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Bridgeman
    BPL Member

@jerry2636

Locale: Huntington Beach, Ca.

Mystery surrounds why search teams have been unable to find a father and daughter who went missing during a hiking trip in the Colorado mountains, a Colorado sheriff said Friday.

Dr. Michael Von Gortler, missing

Link to Story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43611373/ns/us_news-life/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This is the same person who wrote Mike Clelland's favorite article on BPL.

Very sad. I hope they find out what happened.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Thinking good thoughts

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Just saw this on MSN homepage. Fair thee well Michael.

(Sorry for redundant link).

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Gosh, terrible news indeed. My thoughts are with their family and friends.

Rick

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Oh no….this is terrible. My sympathies to the family. Hopefully we can find out what went wrong and learn from it.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Such a sad way to start the 4th. Our families prayers and sympathy….

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Looks like they both suffered injury from a fall:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/206360/339/Father-daughter-died-from-fall-on-Missouri-Mtn

So sad. Be careful out there, folks.

Billie-Jo Maxcey

@bmaxcey

How sad :( Will make me think twice about where I'm going and who knows. Prayers and thoughts with the family. Stay safe everyone.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28441200/detail.html

Relatives Think They Were Blown Over Ledge By High Winds
    Deb Stanley, 7NEWS Producer

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — A father and daughter found dead on Mount Missouri died from head and neck injuries, according to the Chaffee County Coroner.

Coroner Randy Amettis called 7NEWS after he finished the autopsies on Monday.

"Dr. Michael von Gortler and his daughter, Makana, both died from blunt-force trauma injuries to the head and neck," Amettis said. "There was no indication of injuries from lightning."

Relatives told 7NEWS they believe the two were likely blown off a cliff.

Amettis said the conditions of the bodies and other factors indicated that the von Gortlers died on June 22, the day they began the hike.

"No crime is believed to have been committed," Amettis said.

He declared the deaths an accident.

While Amettis could not say if the hikers had fallen, he said their injuries are not inconsistent with a fall.

Michael von Gortler, 53, and his 20-year-old daughter, Makana von Gortler, a University of Colorado student, went on a day hike on June 22 on the popular 14er near Buena Vista. They were reported missing on June 26 and a search and rescue mission began on June 27.

"She was the type of person that would seek out the loners or the awkward person and she would go to them and say, oh, I see you're eating alone. You don't have to eat alone, just come over here at eat with me," said Makana's aunt Suzanne Kutz.

Makana's full name is Makana Aloha von Gotler, Kutz said. "She's a gift of love," she said, translating her name of Hawaiian origin.

Eighteen search and rescue crews were on Missouri Mountain on Saturday when a military helicopter ferrying rescuers spotted something suspicious at about 12,000 feet. The von Gortlers were found 500 feet above the trail.

The entire family wants to expresss deep gratitude to the countless volunteers, sheriff's deputies, search and rescue personel and members of the air national guard.

"There's no words to thank those people and all of their families because they were literally risking their lives," Kutz said.

Michael von Gortler was an emergency room doctor who often traveled to hospitals in need.

Relatives are requesting donations be made to the Chaffee County Search and Rescue.

The von Gortlers had hiked numerous 14ers together and were considered experienced backcountry travelers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools