Topic

The “real thing”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The “real thing”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This probably falls in that HYOH file, so take it with a grain of salt, real salt..
    For me, when it's meat, it's meat with fat in it. When it's milk, it's whole. When it's cheese, it's sharp, or very creamy.When it's eggs, it's all about the yolk. When it's soda, it's with sugar. When it's fries, it's with mayo. When it's a burger, it's a double double with grilled onions. Key word here is "when". Most days I naturally end up eating a vegan diet, without planning on it; but when I crave and eat the above mentioned foods, I want the real thing. Now some prefer the taste of non fat and that is that. Many, though, would rather eat low fat cheese, skim milk and white meat, so that having lots of it every day, won't hurt them. My question is: does eating the toned down, watered down version, make people want more of it, because they don't really get satisfied?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Agree.

But I never eat a vegan diet at all, unless my wife makes me… then I pick at the green and yellow stuff.

I try to eat meat every day, if my wife lets me. I travel a lot and when traveling without spousal supervision, I eat a lot of steaks, hamburgers, french fries, bacon and eggs. I avoid fish at all costs, unless I catch a trout in a mountain stream — this is the only fish of consequence on the planet. People should drink one glass of wine every night at dinner. Two glasses is even better.

When I was dating my wife, she flipped out the first time we drove through the local McDonalds and the window lady did not take my order, she just said, "Hi Nick, that will be $4.85. I used to get the same reception at the local Del Taco, but I am forbidden to go there… of course what she doesn't know, won't hurt her. She wants me to live to be 90, I want to live until I can no longer backpack.

I drink diet Pepsi, because I do not like the taste of sugar in any drink. But I don't partake of soft drinks much, I prefer water or plain unsweetened ice tea. Tap water is better than bottled water, it is almost free. I drink too much coffee every day, usually a full pot.

Sounds like a walking heart-attack, doesn' it?

I walk or exercise almost everyday. Do a lot of hiking. I have little body fat, and low cholesterol. Part of this is genetic and part is leading a fairly active life. My doctor gives me a hard time about my diet, because my wife tells him about it… but I have to keep reminding him that I am a lot older than he, and am in better health and condition :)

I don't eat much in the way of sweets, because I don't care for them that much… but when I get a craving I get the most decadent desert possible.

So to answer your question, toned down, water downed versions taste like crap, don't satisfy my hunger, and are generally boring. They make eating boring and they make life boring.

I say, live a good life and enjoy it everyday. Partake of all the good things in life, and do it in moderation… except sex if possible. Go camping or backpacking every weekend if possible, and on all vacations.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Well…maybe.

I eat meat very rarely and when I do it is almost always filet mignon (yeah, I know sounds crazy right – but if I am eating meat I want to enjoy it, price be ignored).

I don't drink cows milk for the most part and if I eat cheese all I crave is fresh mozzarella now.

As for that dairy question, I don't care for full fat mostly because it coats my mouth with liquid fat. I find lowfat or nonfat yogurt, cheese, cream cheese, etc to be better. But as I said, I don't eat much dairy anymore.

Although I could say that I only like EVOO with a good taste ;-) And my maple syrup has to be dark and thick!

But as for wanting more? Not really. If I do crave something I really only need a bit to get what I crave. Usually it is steak when my chronic anemia comes back (not related to my diet). Then I don't crave it again for a long time.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I do drink skim milk almost always, not so I can drink more, but so I can drink the same with less fat…fat I get instead with real butter and cheese. I cook for myself and most processed foods do not appeal to me. On the other hand, good bread and real cheese and a hard boiled egg can make a fine meal if I'm not up to making something. I do have to watch my sugar intake, b/c I have a serious sweet tooth that artificial sweeteners don't touch. But by and large I go for the big flavor and usually that means mostly-unprocessed "real food."

Everything in moderation, including moderation. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Just for Spelt ;-)

I just got done making these:
    Photobucket

100% vegan. Not exactly healthy though….lol!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Fries with mayo? Seriously?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Joe,

I gotta say that I have done that – on the Wonderland Trail. Ate a good 1/4 cup of mayo, jammed my fries and burger into it. Totally gross and it tasted so good. I was starved. It was after that trip I caught a clue about packing oil for trips ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Fries with mayo? Seriously?"

Oh yeah. I was first introduced to them while stationed in Germany. Talk about good! Of course, the mayo seems richer over there, so maybe that's why they're so good.

I just eat. What I want, when I want. Love flavor, so rarely the toned down stuff. I have cut most dairy out – almond or coconut milk instead, which I love. I've whipped up some wonderfully tasty vegan meals, and some wonderfully tasty meaty meals. But nothing beats a great, cheesy alfredo or risotto.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Sarah, those look amazing!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

"Fries with mayo? Seriously?"

Forget the mayo – fries with blue cheese dressing is amazingly good!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Fries with mayo? Seriously?

Nothing better. The Belgians do it very well. You need good fries and good mayo.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

My question is: does eating the toned down, watered down version, make people want more of it, because they don't really get satisfied?

The real problem is many eat the "real thing" with every meal but still don't get enough of it.

IMO a balanced diet is essential, based on an individual's adherence to their doctors orders – or non-compliance, that's their biz. My diet is mostly plain oatmeal, homemade chicken stir-fry, going out for sushi or rare fish, .

… but sometimes it's green cheese enchiladas smothered with a fried egg and extra queso on top, a chili rellano burrito (with so much fat from Men's Health magazine called the food "Mexican fat bombs" -iirc) – again smothered in queso, or a medium-rare steak with just a little blood, likely with chips. Good as my post mountain bike meal. Last year in western Germany (Trier-Ramstein, close to the French border), every other day I had the best lasagna or real cordon blue.

IMHO many people ingest too many fatty dishes all the time without balancing them out with healthy ones but it's a free country. What can ya do? Could get hit by a meteor tomorrow in any case, and, if over a month since my last rare steak, my ghost will be very unhappy.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I eat what I crave. For me meat is ,on average ,once a week. Sometimes none for a month, sometimes three days straight of steak, fish etc. I eat soy,in some form, fairly regularly . I can go three weeks without cheese, no problem, don't even think about it, then I 'll eat a nice piece of quality cheese in a day or two. I would rather skip mild or unflavourful cheese. I like cream in my coffee, but at home I use soy milk. I eat maybe two eggs a month. Every few months I will crave a glass of rich, cold milk, and nothing else will do. I must eat twice the daily recommended amount of fruits and vegetables. I eat seaweed almost every day.
    The only times I crave really crappy food ( sweets, chips…) is when I am blue.
    I do my best grocery shopping when I am starving; then everything I buy is healthy.
    I hardly go a day without olive oil; I have it in my oatmeal for breakfast : )
    I do see a number of overweight people, trying to do the right thing by substituting rich food with low fat, low cal options, except the portions are huge and they leave the table unsatisfied…

Oh yeah, mayo on fries……yumm

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

ugh. me think we eat meat.

That is what our ancestors ate except'n a few gatherers.

caveman

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My question is: does eating the toned down, watered down version, make people want more of it, because they don't really get satisfied?

I don't think they necessarily eat more because they aren't satisfied but I think they end up taking in more calories because they forego things like natural fiber. Take orange juice for example… I don't drink juice, although I do use the odd bit of juice in cooking, and I'd rather eat the orange than drink it. Not only am I consuming less sugar (albeit natural sugar), I am also benefiting from the fiber and fewer calories.

I insist on the "real thing" in many aspects of my diet. I don't eat artificial butter aka margarine. Instead I eat real butter but I moderate my intake of it. I'd rather have 1/2 of a tea biscuit with a scant of real butter than a whole tea biscuit with that oily crap they try to pass off as "buttery".

Peanut butter is a good example. Many brands such as Jif, Kraft, Skippy, etc. contain added sugar in the form of molasses or powdered (confectioners/icing) sugar. Natural peanut butter is just peanuts.

If anything we eat better and healthier because we eat real, whole foods. Just because it is real doesn't mean it's bad for you if you moderate your portions and such. It's all about choices. Our family eats vegetarian anywhere from 3 to 5 nights a week. When it's meat I choose chicken or fish… and if it is beef I choose nice lean cuts and marinate. It doesn't have to be high fat to be the "real thing". Flank steak vs rib steak is a great example. I can marinate a flank steak for 24 hours and have it every bit as tender and tasty as the higher fat rib steak that is marbled with fat.

These days we have more wonderful food choices and international ingredients available to us. People shy away from fresh, healthy foods because they "don't have time" or they are lazy. It's easier to pick up something take-out or pre-processed-ready-to-go from the grocery store and go. Face-it, obesity and bad nutritional choices are at the heart of epidemics in North America… just look at the rates of heart attacks, diabetes, childhood obesity, compared with 30 years ago.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"It's easier to pick up something take-out or pre-processed-ready-to-go from the grocery store and go. Face-it, obesity and bad nutritional choices are at the heart of epidemics in North America… "

Killjoy…..

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It isn't the sugar (or other sweeteners) added to partially hydrogenated PB we should fear, rather it is that the PB is altered with very unhealthy oils. Jif, Skippy and other similar brands really should be avoided for optimum heart health. PB and any nut or seed butter needs nothing more the nut/seed and a tiny bit of oil to produce a great tasting spread (although a pinch of salt can be nice as well!) While I enjoy Justin's while hiking at home I use Maranartha (spelling is off!) and Adams and other brands such as Woodstock Farms.

As for butter, if one hasn't tried Earth Balance buttery stick they are missing out. Unlike margarine EB is non-hydrogenated. It has all the deliciousness of butter without the animal saturated fats. PS: It also carries well in colder months (due to not being hydrogenated it does get soft easily)

On fish, the only fish I truly will eat and enjoy is wild salmon. And it has to be during the runs. It makes all other fish taste worthless ;-)

PS: Costco is a god-send to those eating a certain way – I can get at amazing prices nearly everything I use in our diet – from all the raw nuts and dried fruit to nut butters, etc. Costco has seen the light in many ways. And they are the best buy around for those who love Medjool dates! Crazy cheap.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol…Douglas!!

The other day I was having the worst craving and ate a McDouble. Yeah, from the drive-thru.

And I enjoyed every tiny bite as I savored all of its totally unhealthy goodness.

I went back to the high fiber vegan diet after.

If I gotta have it, I am having it!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"On fish, the only fish I truly will eat and enjoy is wild salmon. And it has to be during the runs. It makes all other fish taste worthless ;-)"

I share your passion for salmon, but have you ever tried Black Cod?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ooh, no…I will have to!

Although I should edit my rant on fish. When I was growing up we ate a lot of Sturgeon. I know not everyone loves the dinosaur fish of the Columbia but I oddly do. Haven't had it in 20 or so years though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools