Topic

Damn good jerky recipe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Damn good jerky recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I was looking for a Jerky recipe that include Papaya juice and I couldn’t find one, so I made one up. It’s damn good. Here it is:

1. Put 3 pounds top round in the freezer for a couple hours till stiff but not frozen.
    2. Meanwhile mix marinade:
    – 1/2 cup soy sauce
    – 1/2 cup Worcester sauce
    – 1/2 cup papaya juice
    – 1/4 cup fresh chopped ginger
    – 1/4 cup fresh chopped garlic
    – 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    – 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
    – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3. Put all ingredients in a jar and shake to combine (maybe heat to combine?)
    4. Get meat out of the freezer and trim off ALL the fat.
    5. Slice accross the grain as thin as you like (1/8 to 1/4 inch).
    6. Put in marinade and toss
    7. Put if fridge for 24 hours, turning half way through
    8. Take out of fridge, lay on paper towels, and dab top to remove excess marinade.
    9. Put in dehydrator, set for 145 and dry for 7 hours or until cracks when bent
    10. Remove excess fat on paper towls and allow to cool
    11. Eat.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Looks good, even if you leave out the Papaya juice :)

Anonymous

Here’s a recipe for inexpensive and tasty jerky that’s low in fat and much lower in sugar. Very easy to prepare, too:

1. Go to COSTCO and buy a bag of Waggin’ Train Chicken Jerky Tenders (dog treats).
    2. Tear open bag
    3. Enjoy

iheart jerky

@iheartjerky

Locale: Office

That is a great recipe! You should add it at http://www.BeefJerkyRecipes.com…they have tons of Jerky Recipes but none with papaya juice. Very original!

Has anyone ever tried jerky of any other meat type than beef? I recently had ostrich jerky and it was AWESOME!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I've made salmon jerky and also venison jerky. And even tofu jerky.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

My first try at making Jerky I used Soy Sauce, Brown Sugar, Ground Ginger, Garlic Powder, and Pineapple Juice. I got carried away and started out with about 20lbs. of Round Steak. I used the natural heat of my sun porch in July. I salted and peppered it after laying it out on various oven grates and refrigerator shelves, propped up on sticks of firewood. Turned it every day for about 4 days.

It was great and was gone by the end of September.

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

So how long will home made jerkey last before becoming inedible/fuzzy?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I've never made beef jerky, but I can whip you up a pretty good kangaroo version. Very, very lean and great flavour.

The mince works great for dehydrated bolognaise for the same reason.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Norman you can store it in the freezer for a few months before your trip. Out of the freezer – I don't keep mine for more than 4 weeks. That said, around here, it doesn't last 4 weeks before my son and husband devour it anyway.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I agree with Laurie: freeze it. But wrap it thoroughly to prevent freezer burn and frost build-up.

A new jerky idea, at least for me: lean barbeque. Wow- tender jerky!!?! If you are lucky enough to have a local source for real beef BBQ, order a couple of pounds of extra lean. Slice it 1/4 inch, or let them do it, then dry it. It dries quickly, tastes like BBQ and keeps very well. Since it's cut across the grain it is very tender, but may tend to fall apart. Gosh, this stuff is good!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

well yum!!!

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

If you're hoarding it for the Apocolypse or just stocking up for the coming months, I recommend one of the vacuum seal kits. After that, freeze it. The vacuum removes more of the oxygen, making it last longer before spoiling. I do well to prepare it, but my friends and I can't seem to let it stay in the freezer more than a couple of months without it being sacrificed to the munchie gods.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools