Topic

WPB Material and Lining?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear WPB Material and Lining?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

I've been considering using this material on a meteor bivy.
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Fabrics/breathable/Micro-Ripstop-laminate-glossy-55g-sqm::1427.html

I must admit though I'm a bit confused on the whole WPB material front. I know that some have to be used with a lining. Others incorporate a lining into the fabric and it seems it is optional with others?!?

So would I have to use one with the above material and any good links to some solid information on the whole topic? If I would have to use a lining then what sort? If it's too heavy then it defeats the purpose of using that material.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

There are usually two reasons for using a lining on a WPB fabric:

i) to protect the coating from abrasion (if it's a 2-layer fabric);
    ii) to stop you noticing condensation.

For a bivvy, I can't really see that either is applicable; you don't get the same degree of continuous movement that you do with clothing (so wear shouldn't be a big issue), and any condensation (of sweat) is likely to get to your sleeping bag through a liner, anyway… Since you're not very active when in a bivvy, condensation is likely to be less of an issue than in clothing (assuming you're venting your breath somehow).

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

You could email them about ordering a sample, and see how the coating stands up to abrasion.

That is about 1.5 oz/sq/yd. Lighter than some silnylons. Too bad they only have it in black. But note that some of the vendors give the weight of the material before the coating is added. You could inquire about that also.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools