Topic

3 person tent/tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3 person tent/tarp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Spain
    Spectator

@maspain

Locale: Georgia

I am looking for a light, inexpensive shelter for a fall trip later this year. I will be taking my wife and 6 year old son. His first experience was a 4 mile overnight on Jacks River Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness in North Georgia a few weeks ago. He did ok. We have kinda talked my wife into making the trip with us, but her idea of camping involves a car, several bags and a bathroom with a shower. She will be a team player. Anyhow, that is another topic for another time. I was looking to get a shelter for the three of us in the event of inclement weather. Since it will not be used much, I don't want to drop a lot of money into it. I have a 4 season walrus tent, but a pack weight of 7 lbs is more than I want to carry. I was looking around and found appy trails, who sells a tarp tent for what I consider a reasonable price. I know it got average reviews on here. Anyone else have any options or ideas? I have thought about going the MYOG path, but may not have the time to do it right.

Thoughts?

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Tarptent.com, Rainshadow.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

MLD Trailstar

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

Locale: SE US

Another vote for the TT Rainshadow2.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Definitely the Tarptent Rainshadow 2 ("2" refers to the model, not how many it sleeps). There's also the Tarptent Hogback, which sleeps four and would be nice and roomy for three, with a lot more headroom due to its shape.

Mike Spain
    Spectator

@maspain

Locale: Georgia

The Rainshadow Ii is exactly what I am looking for. And at just over 2 lbs, should be pretty good. It is a little pricey for an item I wouldn't use very often though. I will post something on the Buy/Trade page and see what happens. Keep the ideas coming.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hey Mike If you see one on here act fast they dont last long one sold on here the other day for 200 without even the stakes and it was on for 1 hr I sold mine less than a yr ago it was a great tent and VERY roomy but I always kept it out of high winds as much as possible. Get good holding stakes for the front and rear lines and the stakes that come with it are good for every thing else

Derek J
    BPL Member

@derekj2

This is an old forum, but I’d like to see if the Tarptent Rainshadow 3 is still the best option for a dad taking two younger boys to the Sierras. A tarp large enough to cover 3 would work, but the rainshadow’s inner would be nice to use a lower altitudes while car camping. Are there any other lightweight 3 person options for summer and fall in the sierras?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools