Topic

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 2, Stuff Sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Cool article, two things:

1) Can the cost be changed to only make the item identified in the article?

2) Mig asked in part I of the article where to buy Spinnaker online. Unfortunately, after searching through the forums, I can’t find any online sources. Anyone have a website that’s selling it online?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I have some to sell as well as other
    similar fabrics.

another possible source
    http://www.therainshed.com/

Dave

owareusa.com

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

Frank,

Dave at Oware is great to deal with, and has the fabric. I would definately use him for a source.

Unfortunately, making a single stuff sack is less economical because you have to buy minimum quantities of fabric and other materials, and shipping cost won’t be reduced much. I usually make my stuff sacks from leftover material purchased for other projects. If you wanted to make several stuff sacks, your cost per sack goes down considerably. With a yard of Spinnaker, you could make as many as 10 small stuff sacks, or a fewer combination of larger and smaller, for about $40.

Jay
    MYOG

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I noticed the last post was made about two years ago. Since I am considering making the gear discussed in this project, I was wondering if there have been updates on the types of fabric to use and the sources to obtain them.

Other recommendations and/or lessons learned on this project are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not many changes in the last year or so.

Cheers

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thru-Hiker.com has a stuff sack kit that is an economical way to obtain the necessary materials. The 'premium' kit includes 0.7oz SpinTex, 5 small cord locks and ample draw string (although I do wish it was lighter spectra cord). You can buy this for $19.95 and make 5 stuff sacks with it. With some extra cord and cord locks you could make a lot more than 5 sacks if they were small ones.

So far I have made a small sack (about 2L) for my 'essentials' and another similarly sized sack for my pot. Both weigh 6-7g (0.2 to 0.25oz). I've also make a sack for my stakes that weighs 2g (0.1oz). I have a lot of fabric left (about 75% of it). I could definitely make some bigger sacks but I'm a bit nervous about using this material for higher stress applications like a food bag.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools