Topic

Why do A-holes drink light beer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Why do A-holes drink light beer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Oh, don't throw PBR in will that riff-raff. That's a respectable, budget beer.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

despite that PBR is cheap, i have never seen a PBR in a fire pit.. huh.
    this reminds me – now that i think of it.. isnt there some redneck "mascot" named Keith Stone who is supposed to be a small-time hero to other rednecks who aspire to be nothing more than lifelong rednecks? i saw a keystone commercial on youtube and didnt know if i was supposed to laugh or choke to death.

have you guys seen this idiot?
    reminder that Keith Stone is not just a character, he's REAL, and he votes!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Anyway, the whole thing is stupid. Its obviously kids partying and kids will buy the cheapest beer so they can buy more of it. I doubt its adults hacking aimlessly at trees after a long week at work. I guess thats what got me mad about the thread- the idea that its hard working normal families trying to pay the bills that get blamed as a group for childishness behavior.
    EDITED

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Wait, I think Brian's an okay guy. Now I have to rethink everything. But I still don't like littering.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The gist of the argument is Bud Light is probably the most available brand, thus will make up most of the litter vs. say, Guinness. Surprised other areas don't have aluminum can gleaners like we have (both nationalities). Around here, an aluminum can will likely be making it's way back to a recycling plant of either border within 1-2 days of being tossed.

Your taste in beer depends how hopped up you want it or if you want an insane ABV like some Belgium brews. Lights are good on sunny afternoon but ….

Demon Rum rules!!!!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I never see anyone drink bud light up here… or Busch….

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Here in Portland as well as other cities in Oregon there is a perverse attitude to littering because of our bottle/can deposit system. I collect about 10 cans or bottles a week off of my very urban property. Many people don't see this as littering because the homeless and other types pick up these bottles or cans. We are about to increase the deposits and types of bottles and I expect the situation to change for the worse. As the economy worsened last year I watched the craft and imported litter turn into much cheaper brands. We are also supposed to begin putting food waste in with yard debris. Imagine chicken in 95 degree heated cans for a week. Sometimes a Great Notion…

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I never see anyone drink bud light up here… or Busch….

I'm on the other border (Cd Juarez, Mexico) until December, then hopefully I will be up at the Canadian border (Vancouver). Bud Light is very popular south and east of Paso del Norte. Thought it was popular throughout the US, .. maybe not.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

brian: miller lite, per 6 pack, 72oz… $6.50 for 4.2% alcohol. 4.2% of 72oz is a measley 3.024 oz of alcohol. that's basically 3 shots for $6.50, $2.15 per ounce of alcohol.

as an example, a MAN beer like Bell's Two Hearted IPA is 7% alcohol, and for a cost of $10.00 you are getting 5 oz of alcohol per six pack. $2 per oz of alcohol.

i dont have to point out that COST is not applicable. even if cost was, i'd go for flavor over crapp.

you?

miller lite: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/105/332

two hearted: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/1093

thanks for playing!

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I don't think it's a snobbery thing. I do the adopt-a-road thing and I rarely see a full strength beer can. It's easily 95%+ light beer cans. And the big leader, by a long shot, is Keystone Light. Keystone probably costs the same as Keystone Light so who know why it runs that way. But numbers don't lie. I'm just happy that the number of cigarette butts keeps going down.

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

You do know what Evian spells backwards, right?

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Randy its harder to drive with that 5% stuff…

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I am a geek, not a snob. As anyone who has seen me with a can of Bud can attest. That doesn't mean I buy it for myself, but I'm not too good to drink it, which is what snob implies.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

LOL!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

bud is just rare up here, and busch is non-existent. Canadian/Coors/Kokanee and the smaller brewery stuff(Kieth's/Big Rock) are the big beers here.

I'm not to good to drink it if I didn't pay for it.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Te-wa, I am a wine drinker in the cool /cold months.
    Beer in general can't compare to wine in the alcohol department. But when it gets hot I need something cold too drink and I don't like white wine. I drink certain light beers because they are low in carbs and gluten the difference in alcohol is hardly an issue.
    Miller lightis 3.2 gms of carbs PBR is 12
    Bells is actually surprisingly low for an ale : 5 grams, but I never heard of it.
    most are in the 15- 20 gm range.
    Plus I can get a 36 pack of Miller for 23.96$.
    I sometimes get gluten free Sorghum beer but they are expensive and dont taste any better than light beer.
    When I was in college me and my friend where all into micro brew.I had one friend who made beer himself. After time past and now microbrew is everywhere, every bar has a long list of beers. I guess it got old and we moved on to wine.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Im going to edit my earlier comment since I sometimes get upset over things like this needlessly. Sorry.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

brian, i chose a beer in your 'region' of new england but if you havent heard of it thats ok.. its still a small brewery in the big picture. (i dont mean to say michigan is new england, but better a chance you'll see bells than Green Flash or Four Peaks) – imma take you out for a good beer someday! Bell's makes some fine brews, some not so good.

I did the alcohol cost per unit thing the other night w/ my wife and concluded that wine is way higher on the price list, even compared to the highest of craft beers, like Duvel Trappist and Pliny the Younger, etc.. all i was trying to say is that most craft beer is not more expensive than it's over advertised watery counterparts. afterall, someone pays for that advertising, i'll be danged if it's gonna be me!

i like wine too man. fortunately, my taste is geared towards chilean chardonnay and australian shiraz. good taste, low price. to pay a $28 tag for a bottle would kill me.. im surely not rich. save that cost for anniversaries. ;)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Budlight, Keystone, Miller, Coors, etc….. IS NOT OF QUALITY, it's intended to be a low grade beverage akin to soda- millions of consumers are throwing away their pocket change on "kool-aid" quality "beer", loaded with adjuncts, over filtered, to be guzzled down by the case full. It doesn't surprise me the slightest that one of the alcoholic beverages of choice for Campsite Crashers is cheap canned American dank beer.

While there is an abundance of poor beverage making in the US, there is NO shortage of indecency and disrespect.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Here in Utah, I pick up allot of Shasta cans.

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

"Here in Utah, I pick up allot of Shasta cans."

Too funny but no doubt true. Times may change…in a hundred years maybe only places like Hildale will have mostly pop cans left to rot.

In the spirit of Utah I'll say darn darn darn darn…reading this thread has made me begin to suspect that Light Beer really isn't. If that's true, and given my most recent failure to significantly reduce my pack weight by choosing light reading, I may be (again in the spirit of Utah)copulated.
    Have fun and CHEERS,
    Steve

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

In Ohio, the litterer's beer of choice is Bud Lite – it's a cheap high. Natty Light is a close second, followed by Busch. Personally, I prefer stove fuel (Everclear) repackaged in 8 oz. water bottles that I can reuse. It's easier to carry them back out.

Stargazer

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

"as an example, a MAN beer like Bell's Two Hearted IPA"

+1

I saw this thread and wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned Two Hearted.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

This is certainly my snob opinion. There are certainly times and places for light beer or any beer that isnt black in color. But if your favorite beer isn't "Insert Name" Imperial Stout you're really not a beer drinker.

edit: Bell's Expedition Stout (its Imperial) is one of the top 100 beers in the world. Happy Drinking!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Brendan, that is just one example of a great american style IPA. the E. coast has a bunch of good ones, but it appears even on the E. coast ppl want the W. Coast/SanDiego style IPA? when in VA and FL I saw a dozen varietys of CA and CO and OR IPA.

without getting off topic, one of my fave IPA is Tampa's Cigar City Jai Alai. It is superb. Cant find it in Phoenix!!! ugh

like one poster said, when he finds xxx craft beer in cans littering the forest, I will also re-examine my approach.

i dont even want to remind myself of the azzzhole the other day who flicked his butt out the window, just as he drove past a sign that said "fire danger-EXTREME".

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools