Topic

Wanna Cuppa ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Wanna Cuppa ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Here's a photo of what I now use for a cup. Bought it in a supermarket I think and only just noticed it's made by Nalgene (are they still famous?).

It weighs 2oz / 55g – holds 8oz / 250ml

because it has a scr*w on cap it can be used to store stuff or used to mix something into something.

I like the fact it has no handle to get in the way when packing it away.

cup with lid

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice container for emergency stuff too.

Check REI item 679781 for the same item in green– $4.95.

Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

You said you got this at the crocery store. What was in it originally or was it a “stand-alone” product?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> noticed it’s made by Nalgene (are they still famous?)
    Nalgene laboratory originally, and Nalgene Outdoors these days – good stuff actually.
    We use them for carrying jam: they do not leak!
    Yeah, I know, jam contains water and is not SUL … tough. Tastes nice.

ian wright

@ianwright

Yes, just stand alone, no product in it. The reason I never noticed it was made by Nalgene was because I got it in a supermarket not any sort of specialty store so didn't expect it to be a good brand name.

As a luxury last year I took with me some powdered dessert which when mixed with milk and shaken sets without refrigeration and taste wonderful. So to have a screww on lid for the shaking part was great. Otherwise it was my coffee cup.

JAM ! Why not ! I firmly believe that one of the reasons/rewards of going light is to be able to carry some luxuries. If your packs is no burden because it's so light, why not pack a delicious blob of jam !

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The seal on these containers is garanteed by Nalge to not leak even under pressure. I can attest to that: it really does work.

In addition to jam and honey, the seal will hold melted butter on a 40 C (104 F) day, quite reliably. They are great things. There is a review of them at BGT as well.

ian wright

@ianwright

Yes, I tested it by half filling with water and shaking it hard, no leakage. I should look out for a larger version as a cup of coffee for me is closer to 500ml !

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

It comes in a 500mL size

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wandered around a Target store today and found Ziploc Twist ’n Loc containers in 16oz/473ml size. Three of them are just $2.79. Perfect for a bowl and storing powders, grains, cereal or soup for lunch. They have a clear bottom and a blue threaded lid. I would be shy about storing really sticky stuff in them– the lid goes on with a half twist. Nice and light: 1.4oz/40g including the lid. They make a 32oz/1000ml version too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> It comes in a 500mL size [from Nalgene-outdoor.com]

Yep, and it also comes in a 1 L size. Want to make your wife happy? Buy her a few of these for Xmas for storing stuff like rice and peanuts and so on in the kitchen. My wife has about 6 – 8 of them, and they are wonderful.

ian wright

@ianwright

Can someone lend me a wife !

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

I too use the twist and lock containers.

By cutting a small slot in the lid and a small pinhole opposite you can make a very good lidded tea cup. Avoids spillage when I eventabaly knock my cup over in the morning.

Carry an extra lid to make the shake and mix chocolate pudding. MMM chocolate

ian wright

@ianwright

The 'holey' lid would also keep your cup of tea warmer for longer.

The same lid could be used for shaking by holding a couple of fingers over the holes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools