Topic

Enchantment Lakes, June/July 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Enchantment Lakes, June/July 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

Headed into the Enchantments from roughly June 27th to July 4th. I've read some trip reports (paying special attention to the weather portions), but I still have a couple questions:

1) What sort of meteorological conditions should I expect?

2) How much residual snow should we be prepared to deal with?

Though a native to the PNW, I've spent the winter in another part of the country, so I'm a bit out-of-touch this year. I hear the winter has been wetter and colder than usual, yes? Please forgive me for asking what might otherwise seem like obvious questions. :(

I'm not totally inexperienced with alpine hiking, but I typically find myself in sub-alpine regions. So, while I am supremely prepared for treks into the lowlands, higher elevations are not quite second-nature to me…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
    E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Hey, that is a recent report, isn't it? This report hadn't even been written when I was scouring the web last weekend, trying to get an idea of what the conditions were like. What a boon!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Aasgard pass might actually be easier this early in the year while it's covered in snow, but I would still recommend going up rather than down. You think you know what steep is until you start hiking up or down that beast. You can probably get away with microspikes or yaktrax, but make sure you have at least some form of traction device.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You can probably get away with microspikes or yaktrax, but make sure you have at least some form of traction device."

+1 And an ice ax. It can get pretty icy up near the top.

E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

You know, I had been eyeing those Yaktrax XTRs with interest for a while now, but I have heard a lot of stories about them not holding up worth a….edit: We can't use the word *ahem* dee-ay-emm-enn? Really? Really?! Sigh. Anyway…. Unfortunately the only other traction device I own at the moment is an inherited pair of giant, beastly old Black Diamond crampons, but they might be just a little overkill, don't you think? Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy a pair of Microspikes. One of my buddies has a pair of Stabilicers, but they seem prone to getting crap stuck between the sole of one's shoes, and the "footbed" of the device.

Anyway, about the ice axe: really? This late in the year? You don't think set of solid poles + traction devices will be sufficient? The pictures in the thread mentioned by Mary didn't look too bad, and I *will* be there two weeks after those shots were taken…

I'm not suggesting you're offering me bad advice, mind you; I'm just a little surprised. But then again, I've never been up there before, so what the hell do I know? :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Anyway, about the ice axe: really? This late in the year? You don't think set of solid poles + traction devices will be sufficient?"

It is all conditions dependent. Maybe you could get by with poles. If I were you, I'd check with the RS in Leavenworth just to be sure, or peruse trip reports out on the Web. Aasgard is a north facing pass, and this has been a heavy snow year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools