Topic

Poles: What are you all buying when you don’t have $170 to shell out for LT4’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poles: What are you all buying when you don’t have $170 to shell out for LT4’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

I noticed these the other day. They can be found for well under $50 and weigh 489.8 g wich is lighter than the Easton full feature carbon models. They only have one joint and will only collapse to 29.5 inches, but they seem like a good balance of weight and utility verses cost.

http://eastonmountainproducts.com/trekking/atr-50

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I 2nd the Camp Xenon's.

They are a 3 piece aluminum, weigh 9.2 – 10.2 ounces per set and are on sale now for $55

The similar carbon Black Diamond carbon poles (Ultra Distance Pole) weigh 9.2 – 9.7 ounces per set.

Although these poles are not adjustable, they do not have any twist to tighten mechanisms that are always the first thing to break.

The BD would be my choice. The pole grip seems far better than the Camp's. You can get them at Amazon for $127.

However, for $55, I am going to purchase the camps.

Bryan Crook

@bcrook007

Locale: Nebraska

I've got a pair of the 130cm Black Diamond Ultra Distance Poles that are too long for me. I nabbed them from eBay a couple of months back for $80 (brand new/unused). PM me if anyone is interested.

I found some in the 120cm length but haven't had a chance to test them yet. They are amazingly lighter than my old Komperdells but still feel sturdy enough for me. Hope to test them soon.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Being earth friendly, I have used fallen tree limbs that I have found laying about the forest floor,just like early Man did. I shave the bark off with my knife…free and disposable. Works great, back to basics.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Looks like Big Agnes has a new entry to this category:
    http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pole/Featherlite

10oz for a 3-segment adjustable 120cm pole in aluminum… wow
    (12oz for a 135cm)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

>10oz for a 3-segment adjustable 120cm pole in aluminum… wow
    >(12oz for a 135cm)

per head or per ear?

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Thanks for the response Steven.

Hearing that I'm even more inclined to stick with my old, heavy, tough, BD poles. I do tend to be tough on poles.

I've been so busy I haven't been able to stay up on the latest gear so I am impressed to see more introductions into the avalanche pole style trekking poles. Maybe someone elses product will end up being tough and working out for me.

My money was really on the BD poles though given their reputation and my experience with them.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Daniel:
    huh? no clue what you mean

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

was wondering if the 10oz was per pole or pole pair.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools