Topic

Oregon PCT conditions in mid Sept. to early Oct.?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Oregon PCT conditions in mid Sept. to early Oct.?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

I am planning on hiking on the PCT at the end of this Summer, starting south of Lassen NP (near my grandma's house), and ending near Portland. The total distance is around 700 miles. My tentative plan is to start around September 15th, and I'm thinking it would take me around 30 days (based on 25 miles/day…I've heard PCT hikers go a little faster through this section).

Can any one clue me in on the conditions during this time frame (Sep 15 – Oct 15) in terms of bugs, weather, etc.? Will there still be some traffic on the PCT during this time or will I be a lone ranger out there? I can adjust the dates slightly if I need to. Thanks for the help!

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

The bugs will be gone entirely in the northern half of the state, and perhaps also south. The weather will already have a chance to be really sour—last year I was planning to go from South Sister to Washington (200 miles) for my honeymoon September 1st, but the forecast from the trailhead was freezing rain for 5+ days.

Snow will probably be returning to Hood in small amounts as well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

+1 to Kyle

Several years ago someone was hiking around Mount Hood in September, 5 days of heavy rain, the person drowned in the Sandy River.

But, usually September through the middle or end of October is really nice. No bugs. A little cooler but that's a good thing. All the snow is melted. After Labor Day there are a lot fewer people but still some. Late October few backpackers, I don't know why, that's a great time.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hmmm, it most certainly won't be crowded, but you should plan on some early-winter storms.

Last time I hiked in the Cascades, I exited the Three Sisters area around Sept 10 and there was a massive snowstorm the next two days. Whiteout conditions. It happens.

I'm guessing you'll stay ahead of the winter better, by going north to south.

– Elizabeth

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The weather that time of year can be a crap shoot. It may be beautiful. It will probably freeze at night. It may rain or snow. It's unusual for snow to start sticking before late October, but it has happened. Be prepared.

At least this last winter/spring's snow should finally have melted by then! We hope, anyway!

Edited to correct header!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools