Topic

Water on Art Loeb in Shining Rock Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Water on Art Loeb in Shining Rock Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Howdy Folks,

I'm heading out to the Shining Rock Wilderness this weekend. It's my first time out there and I was wondering if anyone had been out there recently and if they could comment on water availability. Specifically I'm wondering about the stretch of the Art Loeb Trail between Ivestor Gap and Cold Mountain. Any place to get water on that stretch? Any info. would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

There is a spring right off the trail near Shining Rock Gap. I don't know 100% that it is flowing but it has always been flowing when I have been up there.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Nate, I just did that section of the Art Loeb last week and did not find water until near the top of cold mountain. I wasn't looking for Brad's source so I missed it. The cold mountain source is small but free flowing.

Jamie

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks fellas. Jamie – is the water source near the top of cold mountain easy to locate? Any hints on finding either of those sources would certainly be welcome. I appreciate the info.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I never have trouble finding water in the Wilderness area, as long as you aren't in any hurry. I've had to be creative to capture it before and have had to walk a mile from camp, but you can find it. I'm in Asheville, so not far from the area, and we've gotten rain daily for the past several days so I would expect any sources to be flowing pretty well.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

The water source Brad R. mentioned is after flower gap but before shining rock gap. Close to where the Shining Creek Trail meets the ALT. It is piped and has been running every time I visited. If it is dry you can work your way down shining creek trail. Depending on how dry things are this could be a short walk or a long walk to running water. I would guess during a serious drought the walk would still be less than a mile.

Brad Fisher

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I drank from the spring Brad mentions on May 19th (27th wedding anniversary…..you learn to remember those or else!) About 100 yards south of the big intersection in Shining Rock Gap on the east (right going towards Cold Mt.) side. I've never seen it dry. The east side trail from Ivestor Gap to Flower Gap SUCKS take the west side trail all the way to Shining Rock Gap or just bushwhack straight up and over Grassy, though must admit Flower Gap is pretty and you'll miss it taking the west side route!

There's a piped spring on the shoulder of Cold as you're slabbing the slope just before gaining the summit ridge. This is the spring Jamie mentions. Some nice (but small) camping spots right where you make the ridge. Nice spots out by Stairs Mt before you drop down to the Causeway (pretty Red Spruce……. couldn't run the train out that far in the 20'3 30's to get just a few more acres so that nice woods survived the slaughter) or good spots towards Beech Gap and Dog Loser closer to Shining Rock but it can get crowded around Shining Rock Gap

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Howdy,

Just wanted to thank all the folks who have chimed in since my last post on this one. It's so cool to be able to get up to date info and viewpoints on upcoming trips. The articles are great but the forums are, for me, the real reason to support this site. So thanks again – not only is it good to know that there will likely be water available but it's also fun to try and locate things on the trail based on others' descriptions. Happy hiking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools