Topic

Above Tree Line Southern Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Above Tree Line Southern Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hopefully I uploaded the photo correctly showing in RED what i believe your suggested line up to be and then another line in orange per suggestion of another trip report."

Your red line shows a possible route up to Pickett Guard Lake. I have always taken the other, eastern branch of the creek that leads up to Kaweah Basin proper, for two reasons: 1) I think it is far easier from what I could see. I think your red line route is going to prove very difficult, assuming you are even able to cross the creek where you have indicated. I have never been up there when it was feasible, because even in low snow years, the steepness of the stream course means very high water velocity where a slip could be fatal. If you do decide to try to get to Pickett Guard Lake directly, I would recommend going up to the small lake directly below Kaweah Basin proper, crossing the log jam at the outlet of the lake, and then attempting to traverse over to intersect your red line; 2) The east fork of Pickett Creek leads to Kaweah Basin itself, and is far more scenic. If you go directly to Pickett Guard Lake, you will miss the best views in the area. Once up in Kaweah Basin it is an easy matter to cross over into the Pickett Creek basin via the saddle described in Secor and follow the creek downstream to the last lake, where you can begin the descent to Kern-Kaweah River via your orange line.

"Wouldn't the route through Miter Basin take a little longer/more elevation?"

Yes, but it is far more scenic. The Pct is, well, the PCT, IMO. But that is just me. Either way will work fine. If you are pressed for time, the PCT would be a better choice.

"Also, i found some mileages that I would like for you to confirm. I'm showing Rockslide Lake as about 1.5 miles from Junction meadow so would that make Picket Guard Lake around 2-2.5?"

Edited to avoid timing out.

I think it is a bit more than that but, in any case, you are going off trail in an area where it is not wise to rush things. I would simply say allow most of the day to get from Junction Meadow to either Kaweah Basin or Pickett Guard Lake, whichever you decide to make your destination. The route finding can be time consuming, and the scenery is gorgeous. It would be a shame to burn thru it and miss what I consider the best part of the route(until you get up in Kaweah Basin, that is), even if you are capable of doing so.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Day 3 push on through to Wallace Creek, down through Junction meadow and up to Picket Guard Lake."

I think you would find this a very long day, possible I suppose, but very long, with a distinct possibility of running out of daylight somewhere along Pickett Creek if the route finding doesn't work out perfectly. And you sure wouldn't be enjoying the scenery very much. If you do decide to push it this way, I would consider pushing further on day 2, possibly to Wallace Creek where the JMT intersects the HST, or even on down to Junction Meadow. You will be mostly on trail, where you can book some miles. The only strenuous off trail part is going over Crabtree Pass, and that is short, sweet, and to the point. Eveything else is easy going. Then you could proceed on Day 3 as discussed in my previous post, with a fresh start from either JMT/HST intersection or Junction Meadow. This way would give you a much better shot at getting up to Pickett Guard Lake/Kaweah Basin on Day 3 in good form.

"Maybe 1 rest day at Picket Guard and then head back to Horseshoe OR Cottonwood Lakes trail to round out the last few days."

Most definitely, you should allow a layover day up there. Kaweah Basin is far more scenic than Picktee Creek Basin, and would be my recommendation, but either is worth a day of meandering around and taking it all in, and a much better place to lay over than Miter Basin, IMO.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great time. You are headed for one of the premier destinations in the Sierra.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools