Topic

Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

But for $1,050 you could add a bunch of neat gear to your closet. I do appreciate the innovation, experimentation, and thought that went into this shelter and hope that it has a very positive affect on shelters in general. And Will, thanks for reviewing this. And even more so to comparing it to other shelters that are at least somewhat similar. Helps me as I think about a one-person ultralight shelter. Which will probably wait until next year anyway.

Barry Starrfield

@barryannarbor

Locale: New England

Just checking quickly – you can get the Laser Ultra for $589 – $635. Still in the territory where my wife would quite rightly go into shock if I bought one.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice review. It's good to see that the Laser has reasonable space for one. It's too bad they used such a light variant of cuben for the floor and that the price is so high.

The HMG Echo I really stands out as being a smarter pick. It's half the price and it uses far more durable cuben for the floor (1.5oz), so IMO a ground sheet is not needed. This puts the weight at virtually the same but your getting a far more versatile shelter for the same weight, half the money and the HMG is really well built. I think HMG is using a heavier grade of cuben for the fly (0.74oz) than Terra Nova (0.51oz) as well, and HMG's Echo is very well reinforced. The only thing the HMG is lacking is headroom but I don't really mind this because when I'm solo camping I spend little time in my shelter besides sleeping.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I'm glad to see the Terra Nova's efforts at innovation. Thanks for the review.

"Still in the territory where my wife would quite rightly go into shock if I bought one."

But Barry, just tell her you NEED that tent! She'll understand…

Melissa Spencer
    BPL Member

@melissaspencer

Locale: PNW

Thank you for the review. I noticed in your video tour that you used a woman's sleeping pad (66" long) and it appeared to take up most of the length. Is the quoted 85" length accurate? My boyfriend is tall and has noticed that not all companies use the same measuring tape…

Thanks,
    Melissa

Kathy Hoffman

@basecampbound

Locale: Foothills of San Gabriel Mtns.

Appreciate the excellent, thorough review,

But….

$1000+ for a single man tent? Seriously, these manufacturers have gone a little nuts. I like ultralight as much as the next guy, but unless you're corporate-sponsored, that's going to be a bit out of the comfortable price range of most people.

I'm currently experimenting with designs to make myself a 1 man, single wall, (but with good ventilation) tent out of silnylon and cuben fiber combined. There's got to be a better trade-off between weight and price. At least….I'm hoping!!

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow – the pricing is a little nutty. GG's The One weighs the same and seems like an incredible value in comparison.

On the other hand, there are cuben tarps out available that cost $400 beans so the pricing for this tent is probably right in line.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

No mention of construction method?
    The Ultra is sewn only. Folk may have opinions on sewn only with cuben.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"$1000+ for a single man tent?

$1000 is MSRP. It's $590 at MoonTrail.

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I have been looking at a cuben fiber solo set up, but there are stronger, nearly as light with more space set ups available at a fraction of the cost.

Just does not seem worth it even at half the MSRP.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I have been looking at a cuben fiber solo set up, but there are stronger, nearly as light with more space set ups available at a fraction of the cost."

Like the Cricket. Someone on here is selling one. Hmmmmm, who could that be…..

Bill (L.Dog) Garlinghouse
    BPL Member

@wjghouse

Locale: Western Michigan

"Choosing the Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 gives you the distinction of owning the lightest one-person single-wall tent in the world."

Six Moons Design's new Skyscape-X is 16 ozs (stakes not included) and costs $450. Begins shipping Jul 13.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html?page=shop.product_details&product_id=57

Bill

(Not in any way affiliated with SMD … just sayin')

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

The Terra Nova uses “one 7.55 mm Scandium Alloy aluminum center hoop pole, and two end carbon fiber struts.” The Six Moons tent uses: “a dual (trekking or optional fixed length) pole support structure, slightly offset from the center of the tent.” For those of us who bring trekking poles anyway, this is clearly a weight saving in favor of the Six Moons tent, all else being ignored.

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

What is the benefit of the hoop over two poles (one higher than other) to give a tent of more or less same shape except for more polygon-ish shape:

the curved-ness just looks like it makes it flappy(noisy).

I think the polygon shape would use very slightly less material (would reduce height of bell end faster, but would seem insignificant, unequal pole heights would mean roof slopes, hence not collect water

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

I think I will stick with GG One. Always new it was a great little tent, this just confirms it.

Bill (L.Dog) Garlinghouse
    BPL Member

@wjghouse

Locale: Western Michigan

The One is on my short list. Unfortunately it is not in stock and the site says they have no timeline for when it will be …

Matt Huff

@matthuff

I work for Sport Hansa LLC, the US importer and distributor for Terra Nova.

The UK retail price of 650 Pounds is for the UK market and included value added tax which, in Europe, is included in the stated retail price for all goods.

The suggested retail price stateside is $700.

Thank you, Matt

Barry Starrfield

@barryannarbor

Locale: New England

Hi Matt –
    Is this tent made in the UK?
    – Barry

Matt Huff

@matthuff

Good Evening Barry. This tent is made in Vietnam. Terra Nova manufacturers their light weight pieces and Asia and their expedition line in Alfreton, Derbyshire in the United Kingdom.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The Ultra may prove popular with UK Ultra distance runners. Some mountain marathons in the UK insist on a double skin tent as part of the carried kit list.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

I corrected the MSRP as per Matt Huff's comment. We typically list the MSRP in US$ when there is a US distributor and we can get the US MSRP. This is a mistake on my part, and I apologize for the incorrect information. Will

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

$700 for a made in vietnam single person tent?

at least youll have the distinction of having one of the most expensive tents on the trail …

i wonder how long the thinner CF will last …

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Will,

Thanks for the review. Good info.

I was a little surprised by the inside/outside temp differences, however. I've been taking inside/outside temps for at least a decade now and my readings typically show greater differences than yours.

The inside of my tent is about 10 degree F warmer throughout the night, while I am lying still. I can heat things up to a 20 to 25 degree difference by moving around inside. This applies to me in a 1 person tent or my wife and me in a 2 person tent.

I (we) use small tents with total fabric coverage for the inside tent.

Were you taking the readings on a windy night? If not then I would tentatively credit the difference in our readings to the open mosquito netting on the Terra Nova. Of course I may generate more heat than you also. I tend to be a hot and sweaty guy.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Daryl

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

I thought the most popular marathon event only insisted on a tent with a sewn in ground sheet Mike?. So modding the fast packer option on the Ultra 1 would give a very light tent with outer and only a ground sheet.

Ultra 1 was the tent used by the LAMM elite winners recently. Talking to one person who was on it who used an Ultra 1, a Terra Nova cuben fibre pack, sleeping bag and bivy which came to about 1kg I can see why terra Nova kit is chosen by mountain marathon entrants.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools