Topic

Ti Goat Rifle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Ti Goat Rifle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I just came across this on the Ti Goat home page:

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/index.html

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Newest website (after pakrifle.com no longer working)
    http://www.packrifle.com

Some early discussion with Josh's name mentioned
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/24769/index.html

Ryan review
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/pak_rifle_review.html

Weird that they put the image on that page, but you cannot buy it there.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have no need for a rifle but that is very cool. Two distributors in my backyard……I may have to check one out.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

The one on the Ti-goat page looks quite a bit different from the pack rifle that was reviewed on this site and discussed in a long thread. It looks way more minimal and quite a bit lighter. Seems more like a teaser photo for something that is not available yet?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Yep!

Lighter, stronger, more compact, more affordable, more versatile.

The Pak-Rifle that was reviewed by Ryan, here on BPL, is an entirely different rifle from what is on the TiGoat website, though I designed both.

If you followed the Back country boiler versus the mKettle story, it pales in comparison to the Pak-Rifle story. In the end though, something has to drive innovation, and many forms of competion do a real good job of that.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I like this design much more than the last one. I often pack a kids chipmunk rifle with a 3/4" Redfield scope. Light and deadly accurate. Always thought it would be hard to beat with a light barrel and stock. Might also like a pistol version with about a 10 inch CF barrel and a strategic hole in the grip. OK maybe that's pushing it a bit. Probably wouldn't really need a scope with the longer sight radius of the rifle barrel anyway.

Fun stuff!

My budget's tight but I can be tempted.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

"I often pack a kids chipmunk rifle" I've had one of those since ~1984. Not to give too much away, but you are really on to something there.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

and maybe you could do one of those popular limited edition serial number things too. oh yeah, maybe like T007. I might pay extra for that. Anyway, you've got my respect if you can make it happen 'cause I'm sure you have your work cut out.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Josh,

So when will it be available and approximate cost?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

hmmm… I think I got enough out of that ;)

Any ideas on pricing, and more importantly availability in CA?

Also, the barrel is CF? never herd of that substrate as a barrel material.

obviously I'm intrigued, can't wait to learn more about this thing

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

"Also, the barrel is CF? never herd of that substrate as a barrel material"

maybe with a metal sleeve…

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

Ok, little research goes a long way lol, so it looks like they're using a variety of Crickett/chipmonk adult and youth .22's… very interesting! the diy'er in me, is rubbing his hands together… thanks! :)

and I see its CF wrapped around a cro-moly machined barrel… pretty slick, it would be cool if they would sell me a barrel!

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

dfdf sd

@geofftheref

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

How good of a shot are you? and how good are your nerves? ;-) Just kidding.

I would not reccomend it for that purpose, bear spray is going to be the responsible thing to carry and use if it is bears you are worried about.

alan barber

@azbarber

Locale: SE

Where are going on your trip to the states? In most areas, bear aren't really a big threat to humans.

And while the tigoat rifle would be a better defense than nothing, it's probably not the best choice for bear. Just remember the only thing worse than a charging bear is a wounded charging bear. ;)

P.S. I've had many encounters with bear, and while they inspire a good bit of adrenaline, no humans or bear were ever harmed.

Az

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Cool little rifle, Much more suited to putting squirrel stew on the backcountry table than fighing a bear. Like it's been said time and time again, bears may seen like a huge threat but weather and other humans are probable much more likely danger. A single shot .22LR is just going to pi$$ off a bear anyways.

Trevor Martin
    BPL Member

@trevormar

Locale: Rockies/ Desert Southwest

I looked at the earlier pack rifle when ryan jordan reviewed it a while ago. The fact that this has a real bolt action for the same weight makes it seem like it would be a bit more usable. Pretty cool josh!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The ranger at Olympic National Park said the only case he knew of humans hurt by bear were hunters that wounded a bear.

Trevor Martin
    BPL Member

@trevormar

Locale: Rockies/ Desert Southwest
    Fred Thorp

@bfthorp

I'd love to see a mag fed, 16" bolt gun with real sights, dropped in a folding, minimal but functional, stock. I'm thinking about a CZ scout project.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

@Fred – This might be something that fits your criteria.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

Depending upon your weight tolerance 2.5lbs might be heavy, however, there are shops that make parts for the AR-7 that might bring that weight down. Check out this site.

http://ar7.imoutdoorshosting.com/store/page73.html

Fred Thorp

@bfthorp

Yes I'm familiar with the AR-7. Not a fan… but I hear some get along with them. I'd prefer a bolt with good sturdy sights.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools