Topic

2oz pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2oz pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Still no reply fellas :(

Ill email them a few more times and be persistant with it and they will answer eventually! Lets get a few people emailing them, they're email address is [email protected]
    One of us has to get an answer eventually

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I got a few small pieces from work. I was going to use them for butt pads. I don't think they would really work very well for a sleeping pad. The only exception is using it in warm weather. The pad has no insulating properties.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Sounds like this stuff could be a nice addition to a thin CCF pad. I'd definitely be interested in some if anyone finds a source.

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

Sealed Air

In US/Canada 1-800-648-9093

Europe
    http://www.sealedair-emea.com
    email [email protected]

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

haha, My roommate gave me some of this a couple months back. He knows how quirky I am when it comes to shaving weight so he figured I could somehow use it. I do agree, the stuff is amazing. Because the air bubbles have channels running through them, the air is free to move back and forth between each bubble, so stepping on one bubble doesn't cause it to pop like traditional bubble wrap. The flip side however, is if you pinprick just one bubble, that entire row is shot, since all the air from that row can escape.

I only had a small rectangle of it, but I used it as a seat cushion for my home chair for months before I got bored with it and threw it out. Now im wondering…if you were to use it in a biomapped configuration (e.g. klymitX pad) you could save weight and probably justify using a thin GG 1/8 pad underneath to add both warmth and extra durability. But again, you have to store this thing with a stuff sack when its strapped to the outside of your pack or else it's a disaster waiting to happen. Yet, a cuben stuff sack would weighs next to nothing and be durable enough.

I did lay on it to see how it would fare as a pad, and I do admit, there was more than enough cushion to provide for comfort. IMO similar to a 1" prolite

Damn, now the more I think about, take a GG 3/8" pad and bring along enough of this bubble wrap to cover just your torso area and you have the lightest summer pad that actually provides comfort and a bit of r-value.

Sam M

@driedwater

If I am not mistaken air is a fairly good insulator. That is why reindeer and the like manage to stay so warm with so little. Their fur has tiny bubbles of air in each hair which creates an excellent insulation layer. So I would imagine the air trapped inside would act much the same way, protect you from direct heat leeching through the ground and heat up rather quickly from your body heat.

I remember hearing a story about a guy building his home out of glass bottles, it was a large mansion. He could heat the whole house to a incredibly toasty temperature in the dead of winter with a single fireplace. It turns out it was because of the incredible insulation given by the trapped air in each of the bottles.

Steve Kay

@srn728

There is an important distinction between "air space" and "dead air space"

A "dead air space" is (for all practical purposes) usually made up of a given insulation having a constant R-value per thickness. The insulation (i.e. down, foam, fur, etc) limits air movement(convection) within the space. For example, a particular type of foam may have an R-value of 5 per inch.

On the other hand, an empty "air space" (i.e. window pane space, UN-insulated sleep pad, empty bottle, etc) only have an R-value of around 1, regardless of the thickness of the space*. This lower R-value is mainly due to natural convection in said space.

Also, the geometry of the air space can play a role. In the case of an un-insulated pad, there should be a favorable temperature distribution when a warm body is laying on it in the horizontal position. The warmer air will tend to stay toward the top of the air space, reducing the natural convection. IMHO, this will probably increase the R-value somewhat higher than 1.

*See last entry in thisR-value table

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Another reason I like this stuff:

There's room, presumably for your sleeping bag to expand into the spaces between the holes, thus providing heat-trapping loft in a direction you don't normally get any.

I really want to try this stuff. Anybody find a supplier?

Stargazer

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I've written about 6 different companies and included the picture, not one of them have gotten back to me. I absolutely must have this!

Was thinking I could even wrap this sucker up in a Tyvec cover to make it a bit more durable but with added puncture resistance… still keeping it light and rollable (I hope). I really just want a torso pad to stick on top of my zlite.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

I know man! I've emailed them a few times now. They must just ignore it as soon as they realize its irrelevant to beer. I'll email one more time and threaten not buying any more brew supplies from them if they dont tell me the secret supplier!

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

anyone?

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I have had 0 replies from the 10+ companies I attempted to contact. I even tried contacting them via my work email. A company that would actually purchase this material/machines and nothing!

I would be so effin happy with a torso sized portion of this! Fold my z-lite in half, throw this in the middle…makes me want to cry at the added comfort lol

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

No replies from anyone I contacted either :(

Must be a secret

Jeremy Malin

@jrmalin

Locale: New England

I just got a package from Panasonic and they used the unfindable bubble wrap for packing. They might be "another too big to care to answer" company, but I will see if I can get a response. Incidentally, I received a GF2 that will now be my minimalist camera. Seeing the bubble wrap was a little icing on the cake.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Cameron,
    that stuff is not it either unfortunantly. You can see the individual bubbles in the picture. This is almost sort of a bubble "row", with air tubes connecting the bubbles.

Jeremy,

hopefully Panasonic will answer back!

Michael Moore

@lilricky

I got a package from Panasonic a few months ago, a replacement Blu-ray for one that went south on me. So when I read this thread I went to the box and viola! The channeled bubble wrap was there! Also, it seems that I got the start or end of a roll, because it has the words, Airpouch on it. After a quick google search, I found this: http://www.autobag.com/Packaging-Systems/Void-Fill-Air-Pillow-Systems/AirPouch-FastWrap-Technical.aspx
    Something called Airpouch Fastwrap, which creates "Patent-pending honeycomb bubble pattern is channeled, allowing multi-directional wrapping and improved product protection"

patrick agius

@streamline

I have 15+ foot of this that I may be persuaded to part with. It is 12"inches wide and each section is 11"inches. I have two long pieces making up the length I listed.
    I also may be able to get my hands on more but only in incoming packages so it wouldn't be on-demand.

The stuff I have has the Sealed Air New Air I.B. mark on it. The air chambers are connected along the 12" side.

I weight 165 and stood on it on one foot and there seemed to be no ill effect.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

And test them on the trail and be glad to paypal you the cost of postage and whatever you think it's worth.

Stargazer

P.S. If I understand your post correctly, I'd want to tape two sides together to make about a 24-inch width. The sections don't need to be together longer than a total of 44 inches or so to cover my torso and knees, but I'll be glad to take whatever you have on hand in whatever length.

patrick agius

@streamline

I have a box at work that I will get some in. I will let you know the postage and you can paypal that to me.

The cost will be ONE MILLION DOLLARS … ONE MILLION DOLLARS … ;-) sorry for the bad Austin Powers reference.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Tom Burns
    [email protected]

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

It has its advantages and disadvantages. It's a bit noisy, but very lightweight. The main problem is its bulk. It won't fit into the pad holder on my zPacks pack, so I have to strap it to the outside. Cutting it to size is also a bit problematic. If you miss the mark, you'll deflate a whole row or maybe the whole danged hunk. I didn't want to find out, given the smallish sample I had to work with. It's easy to tape together the hunks with clear mailing tape, which sticks them together very well.

I'm not sure its any warmer than foam. It certainly is a more comfortable buffer between the my body and the hard, hard ground, but a layer of leaves works just as well — if they are available.

I'll post more extensive findings as soon as I give it a second sleep, I hope this weekend.

Tom B.

patrick agius

@streamline

I am really glad you got to try it out. The stuff is bulky for sure though. We don't get that type in often but I will keep my eyes open.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

It was a big sample, but I'm a conservative by nature, if not politically. :-) What can I say. If I screwed it up, I wouldn't have enough to play with to make another one. Thanks for sending it to me!

Stargazer

Ryan Biggin

@cinatit48

Hello All,

My name is Ryan. I notice this thread is quite old, however I am the owner of one of the machines that produces this brilliant product and If I can help anyone here out then I would be happy to do so. Feel free to send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

Regards

Ryan

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools