Topic

2oz pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2oz pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Someone may have posted this before, but I had never seen it on here.

So anyways, today I got some homebrew supplies in the mail, and they came wrapped in this dark grey bubblewrap stuff. I had tried bubblewrap backpacking pads in the past, and hated how easily they popped, and having them burst in the middle of the night on me.
    This bubblewrap was different though, with all of my weight on one foot, it would still not pop.
    I cut it to the length of my Ridgerest, and taped the two pieces together with some tape. Laying down on it for a few minutes felt comfortable. I put it on my scale and the two pieces taped together weighed 2.1oz. If I was ever going to put this to use, I would sew a nylon sleeve for it, adding aprox. .5oz, so a finished product weight of ~2.6oz could be possible with this setup.

Heres some pics of the stuff I am talking about
    wrap1wrap2

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hmmm. That looks like good stuff.

Within normal Bubble-wrap, there are at least two types. One has the big bubbles similar to this stuff of yours. Another one has small bubbles, maybe 1/3 of an inch across. Obviously you get better cushioning from the big bubbles, but the small bubbles are easier to roll and pack. The normal stuff will hold up for several nights. Then you pitch it and get another piece for your next trip.

I agree, on the normal stuff, you put an elbow down and you've popped one or two bubbles. So, maybe a protective fabric sleeve is the solution. I would think that a plastic bag would work also.

–B.G.–

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I've seen this kind of bubble wrap before. It's made of polyurethane instead of the standard polyethylene, and, as you said, it is much tougher without any significant increase in weight. Two layers of this would probably provide almost as much cushion as an inflatable mattress (like a kookabay). It wouldn't provide any insulation, but it seems like a great way to increase comfort if you don't mind the bulk.

Polyurethane needs to be stored dry (in between uses) to avoid hydrolysis (a slow chemical reaction with water), and it is also very sensitive to damage by sunlight. The coatings on many tent flies are polyurethane, and the typical cracking and peeling of the coating on an old fly is due to the combined actions of water and sunlight.

When you say "nylon sleeve" are you basically talking about a stuffsack? Something to protect it when it is rolled up?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wonder if this is the same thing (gawd I hate this nearly useless forum software): http://www.staples.com/Staples-Large-Bubble-Wrap-12-x-30/product_835124?cmArea=SC1:CG16:DP1784:CL141645:SS1009734

Or this.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

I am not sure where it can be bought. It is really weird, not only is it made of a different material like Colin pointed out, but the bubbles are not individual. What I mean is that each bubble has a small tube going to the next bubble, all the way to the bottom. So what looks like 5 bubbles is actually one. I think that is why it is so resistant to popping.

The nylon sleeve I was talking about would pretty much just be a pillowcase, in which one end is open while other 3 are sewed shut. This would make it less clammy and give it a tad more protection.

edit: its even more pop-resistant than I thought. I put a small section down on my tile floor, and I stood on it barefoot and jumped on it. No popage. Only way I could get it to pop was putting it over some small pieces of dirt/rocks and then jumping on it. That popped a section.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

too bad they aren't all connected or you could put a valve in it and be able to deflate it…

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

I know that would be great, because thats the only thing I dont like about it, it is still the same bulk as my Ridgerest

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very cool stuff….The weight savings are tempting. How bulky is it rolled up? I wonder if a 20 x 48" piece would be too bulky.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

When I get home from work today I will measure how big it is rolled up. I think my piece is roughly 55" as well, so 48 would roll even smaller.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Somebody find this product! Since it's used for packing boxes, it will be in rolls and should be very inexpensive "per sleeping pad length" if we amortize that across the price of a full roll, at least.

This could have great application not only for wild-eyed ultralighters that trim their shoelaces and eat with pine needles for chop sticks, but for kids and such that just plain need a super cheap, super light pad. Heck, we could put an ounce of clear packing tape all over the "down side" of a pad, roll it up and voy-la, an ultralight pad for pennies? Cheaper AND lighter than the ridgerests? Could be cool.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Who is the homebrew retailer? Can we ask them where they get their bubble wrap from?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Use a dry sack and keep some air in it.

L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

I remember getting this stuff in a homebrew shipment – didn't think of using it as a sleeping pad though… I think it was Austin Homebrew Supply. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

I got it from Morebeer.com, its funny because the first thing I noticed before I even saw my equipment was "hey, that could be used for a pad". Just the ultralighter in me thinking haha.

Anyways, I'm in the middle of brewing right now, but I just took a picture of the diameter rolled up. Its about 6" for a 45" pad. It could probably go smaller when rubberbanded. I think that is about the same as my Ridegerest rolled up.

The weights that I listed were also with a 24" wide, whice is 4" wider than a standard pad. The problem is that they come in 12" wide pieces. But my turning them sideways and being careful to cut along the giant bubble strip, it is 8", so by going lengthwise and then opposite on the other side, and just using a tad more tape, a 20" pad could be aquired.
    So if my 24" weighed 2.1, I would suspect that a 20" would weigh in the neighberhood of
    1.75oz. Not too shabby.

diam

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

Would you one of you mind very much in contacting your brewing supplier and asking where they get the material from, what the product is sold as, please?

thanks
    Craig
    (Australia)

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Coincidentally, an instrument arrived in my lab today packaged in a box with this kind of bubble wrap. It's gray, very tough, and the bubbles have air channels between them so squeezing one causes a few others to bulge. It says "New Air I.B. Express" on it, so I looked it up.

You can't buy this kind of bubble wrap. It is sold as film for machines that produce bubble wrap on site for packaging operations. I was wrong about the composition of the film. It's apparently a laminate composed of a layer of thin nylon film sandwiched between two layers of polyethylene. The company also makes clear and colored films. The gray stuff is 50% pre-consumer recycled material. So, I think the only way to get bubble wrap made from this film is to convince a shipper that has a machine to sell some.

new air

barrier

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

Thanks Colin.

Clearly, there is an opening here for an entrepreneuring person to arrange for a roll or two of the stuff to be made, and then re-sell it on backpacking forums.
    :)
    Craig

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Colin, nice work researching it. Thats a bummer it is not sold. I guess the only other option is for me to buy a ton of brewing ingredients and give it to you all! ;)

But seriously, I will contact morebeer, and see if they would somehow be willing to sell a roll. I'll get back to you guys.

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

subscribed to this thread.

i'm going to look around for shipping companies in pdx that might basically give this stuff away. or maybe trade for the shipping peanuts i constantly give away for re-use to them…

if not, i'd buy a 2/3 "pad" worth for a few bucks for experimental summer use…
    what's going to be the frame in my pack! ;-)

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I, too, am interested in giving the stuff a try. Looks comfortable and light. Perhaps it could be used rolled up as a BP frame or if it's made foldable, it could be used in the back slots of a zPacks (or other) backpack.

Stargazer

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Thats another thing that is nice about it. It has a small gap in the bubbles every 10" or so(you can kind of see this in the photos) that it can be folded upon. A 20" sheet folded in half might make a good frame for a frameless pack, for about 1oz.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Gad zukes! I want this stuff!

Stargazer

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Upon looking at the links Colin provided, it didn't look like the stuff I received. I looked at all their videos, and none of them have the "channels" in between the bubbles. I also looked all over my length of wrap, and could find no "newair express" like Colin's sample had. So we may still be in luck that this stuff is sold.
    I emailed morebeer asking them about it this morning. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

I may just have to order some beer supplies and see what kind of bonus bubble wrap it comes with!

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I'm down for bulk ordering 6-18 feet if we can find it. Does anyone know the technical name for it? May make it easier to find

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools