Topic

Backpacking suggestions for the week of July 4th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Backpacking suggestions for the week of July 4th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I'd like to call on the collective wisdom here for backpacking (or possibly canoeing/rafting/sea kayaking) suggestions during the week of July 4th. I'd be flying out of Atlanta, GA, and pretty much anywhere in North America is on the table. Some considerations:

-high places in the western US or Canada are of interest
    -the 4th is on a Monday, so some quick checking online says it's nearly half price to fly on Monday rather than the prior weekend for pretty much everywhere
    -I'd like to return on the following Saturday the 9th. So possibly 4 or 5ish days on the trail or water, unless I travel on the 2nd.
    -I want to go where it's cool, but don't want elevation sickness (I'm not real prone to it, but still don't want to push my luck).
    -Probably traveling solo, but that's still in the air. I'd be open to joining an already planned trip or group.
    -I prefer easy logistics. I don't want anything too hard or crazy expensive to get to.
    -I'm not a fan of mosquitoes.

Guess that's it. Thanks for your ideas.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Due to record snowpack and a cold wet spring, nearly all those high places in the western US will still be under many feet of the white stuff. The exceptions are Arizona and New Mexico, where the problem is avoiding the many fires that are unfortunately ravaging that drought-stricken area. (There are also extreme fire restrictions in that region, for obvious reasons, so you'd have to take no-cook foods.) All of us out here are watching snow depth and stream flow charts in hopes of seeing some signs of melting. Places normally melted out by early to mid-June are still solid snow.

Check out this site: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/
    In the top map, click the region you want. Then go down and click on the map for "Snow Depth."

You might want to consider the northeastern US (Adirondacks, White Mountains) or Michigan's Upper Peninsula–no snow issues there! The Superior Hiking Trail and Isle Royale are also good places. If they weren't so far from Oregon, I'd be tempted to go there!

In the west, Hell's Canyon is snow-free, although it's liable to get very hot if you go down into the canyon. I just saw a recent trip report here on BPL, and some trip reports from earlier this year are on portlandhikers.org.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Thanks, Mary. About the snow, I didn't realize in July it was still that big of a concern except for isolated spots. But I'm from GA, so certainly no expert.

I was talking to someone from NH on the phone about the Whites right before I started this thread last night, and that definitely sounds like an option. Still, there have to be some other places out west that would be nice. Would love to hear more suggestions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Rogue River

Beach on Olympic Peninsula

Enchanted Valley of Olympic Peninsula

Many trails in Columbia Gorge, like Eagle Creek up to Wahtum Lake and back down Ruckel Creek, or many other options

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Good suggestions Jerry. I'll do some research on logistics. If there's an easier way to get to the trailhead than renting a car, i.e. public transport, hired shuttle, etc, please let me know. Thanks.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

"-I'm not a fan of mosquitoes. " != Michigan UP

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm not a fan of mosquitoes. " != Michigan UP"

Not to mention the hordes of those little black ba$tard$ called noseeums in polite circles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools