Topic

UL and back gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists UL and back gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Well, over the last couple years I have been assembling an UL kit. At one point late last year, I was down to 6 pounds base weight when I was using my MYOG pack, tarp, and summer quilt.
    It was great having a 6 pound base weight, but I have actually started adding stuff back to my kit for more comfort over the last year. I am now at a little over 10lbs base weight, and I am very happy with it. It is the perfect blend between really UL and comfortable UL for me.

So this is sort of reverse of what most people are looking for on here, but my question is..am I forgetting anything? Anything you could think of that should be on my list?

I'm not really looking to nix or replace items, but if you have a suggestion go for it. For example, I own 2 packs lighter than that Vapor Trail, but I love how comfortable it is, and the internal frame helps out my back.

Here it is:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asj1qSf19Gk4dFluWm5YU01hSGpTbTBfT0JGSHVfMHc&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0

Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looks pretty good to me. Do you feel like you are missing anything?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Looks like a good, comfortable list to me.

I've gone the same route for trips in which speed/mileage are not the focus; I've added back in a freestanding shelter and inflatable mattress, things I typically wouldn't carry otherwise.
    I'll be doing a 100 miles yo-yo on the Lost Coast next week- taking it pretty easy at around 15 miles a day…this is the sort of trip that extra weight is no big deal to me as I want to be comfortable, have an easy and convenient kit, and enjoy myself.
    My gearlist for this sort of trip is in my profile for comparison. I'd still be just under 10 pounds without my bear cannister, though this list doesn't include my surf fishing tackle…probably about 2 pounds.

Cheers.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

The only thing I felt like I was missing last time was a pillow case and a larger groundsheet. I added these things on this list.

I've only taken one trip so far this year, just a short romp down around Hells Canyon, and I still used my tarp for that, so since then I have added the pyramid that I built recently.

This current gear list has only been used for a few trips late last year in September/October. In August this year, I have about 2 weeks of backpacking planned with a friend, so I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I am forgetting that I would need for 2 weeks.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Craig, your list looks really good too. It actually gave me a few ideas of things I forgot to add on mine.

How do you like that Hubba? A friend of mine just bought one and we have yet to put it to use yet.

Have fun on the Lost Coast!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

John, looks like you have your stuff pretty dialed in. If I were making some concessions for comfort, an inflatable pad over a ridgerest would be one of the first. Do you sleep well on a foam pad?

Andrew

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Thanks Andrew. I actually sleep really good on the Ridgerest. I used to have a Neoair, but ended up using the Ridgerest alot more, just because of the weight benefits and not having to worry about punctures, so I ended up just selling the Neoair and keeping the Ridgerest.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

That's great John. I usually use a NeoAir, and tried to switch to a Ridgerest for the weight & simplicity of it, but just never got a good night's sleep on one.

Andrew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools