Topic

Tenkara Fishing for Bass?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara Fishing for Bass?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I live in the Mississippi and most all the fishing I do is for largemouth bass. I got a tenkara rod and need some help chooseing some flys for the largemouth bass that I fish for. Most of the bass come from small ponds and are less then 2 pounds. Does any body know of anything that works well? I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer.
    Thanks
    Dustin

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hey Dustin

Any topwater popper will work fine. I have great success on the Shenandoah River with smallmouth bass and panfish::)

Jim

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

There's a guy who posts on the Tenkara USA forum who catches peacock bass, and a bunch of Midwest folk there who catch largemouth from farm ponds. Like he said above, about any popping bug will do the trick. I've also caught them on large nymph type flies – think dragonfly nymphs!

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

Bass on Tenkara should be a riot!!!
    +1 on poppers, and anyone who sells or ties flies should have Woolly Buggers and a variety of Clouser Minnows handy. I'm a big fan of bead headed Wooly Buggers for both LM and SM bass. Big flies catch big bass, and even for the sub-2 pounders I'd stick with size 4 and up…
    Good luck,
    Steve

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

What size poppers would you use?

Kyle Dickerson

@kyledickerson

Also check out the many varieties of beadheads. They take a bit of skill to cast as they're heavier than the typical fly, but I've had great results with them.

Photobucket

Here's some fish I caught in the San Diego River with it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools