Topic

Reds Meadow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Reds Meadow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Hey everyone, its getting down to my dates to send a re-supply to Reds. I read on their site that they say it takes about 30 days for a package to get there. I wanted to double check with others and see if this is correct, or if there is any other info I need to be aware of? I'll be sending alcohol as well in my package. Unless? there is fuel available there? Or some other info I'm not aware of. Thanks!

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hi Steve,

As I understand it, the 30 days is if you send it parcel post. You can send it as priority mail and have it there, guaranteed, in 2-3 days. However, this is more expensive. I'm doing the JMT in august and have emailed them once or twice with a couple questions and they have always responded quickly. I would email them and ask if they sell your particular type of fuel.

Have a great hike!

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

FYI, Priority Mail is not "guaranteed" to be to its destination in 2-3 days. Think of it more as a guideline than a firm date. I've had priority mail packages take 5 days or longer in a few cases.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Reds Meadow has a store that sells food for backpackers and campers. As long as you are not too picky you can easily resupply from it. Next stop if you are going north is only three days and then you are at Tuolomne which has an even better store. Or southbound in three days you'll be at VVR, and a day or two later at Muir Trail Ranch.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

It's probably 2-3 days if you mail it from somewhere in California. For priority mail I like to give it 10 days just to be sure.

Jim Fitzgerald
    BPL Member

@jimfitz12000

Locale: Southern California

Boxes for Red's Meadows Store are sent to a P.O. Box at Mammoth Lakes, California. Mail for Mammoth Lakes, California, IIRC, arrives by truck from Southern California once a day; depending on the truck origination point, drive time can be five hours or more. Mail to Mammoth Lakes takes a day longer than to "normal" destinations plus there is sorting time at the Mammoth Lakes Post Office.

A Red's Meadows Store employee picks up at the post office four times a week and takes items to the Red's Meadows Store. Driving time is about 45/55 minutes, but truck might not head directly to Red's Meadows. Package could sit at the Mammoth Lakes Post Office for a few days before pick up by Red's. I would allow at least a week for an express mail package to reach the Red's Meadow store.

Another option is to take the ($7.00?) shuttle bus from Red's Meadows to Mammoth Lakes, where one can buy all resupply items at markets, outfitters, etc. Or, mail a box to yourself for pick up at the Mammoth Post Office. Mammoth Mountaineering sells denatured alcohol in small quantities; bring your container. Mammoth Brewing Company makes a good rehydration beverage, which is sold at most restaurants in Mammoth Lakes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools