Topic

built a mini frame bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring built a mini frame bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

I know my bike isn't really a touring bike, but i figure i can get by with it as long as i keep my load light.

the bag is big enough to carry some quick access gear while touring (wind jacket/pants, warmer gloves, etc), otherwise i can use it to carry wallet, phone, flat repair gear, snacks, etc. for long day rides. im also going to build a tank bag too for long day rides. I think i'll also build a full size frame bag for some actual multi-day touring in the fall.

This one is built with 1000 denier cordura, #5 water resistant zipper on the right side with a flap to help keep it dry/clean, and 2" velcro. the bag is a hair over 3 ounces. It ended up being slightly taller in the rear than it should have been, so it's not as tight as i would have liked it to be, but it still works well. since i don't have a sewing machine, i hand-stitched this.

I still have enough cordura to make more of these, however i think im going to go with some lighter material like X-PAC since it will be easier to stich together and will result in an overall lighter bag. However this cordura seems like its bomber and will last forever.

Ryan K
    Spectator

@thesergeant

Locale: Ryan

You did that by HAND!? That's crazy, how long did it take you?

My hat is off to you myfriend. Great looking piece of gear. I;m about to embark on the same project myself.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

it would still allow for a shoulder strap, very cool!

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i would think it probably took 20ish hours of actual sewing, plus time to get dimensions and draw out the templates and transfer the templates onto the material. the zipper was the hardest part to do because the material is really thick and i wanted it to look really nice, so i sewed it along the edges of the zipper to get it in place, then i cut the material down the center of the zipper, tucked it, and then sewed that flat. i added the flap because i figured it would keep the zipper cleaner, and thus extend the life of the zipper, since that would probably be the first thing to fail.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools