Topic

Golite Shangri-la 1 & 2 dimensions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Shangri-la 1 & 2 dimensions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Dickens

@briand

Locale: Colorado

I searched this site and the golite site. Golite customer service does not answer phone. So….

What is dimensions of Shangri-La 1? What is dimensions of Shangri-La 2?

I can't believe that Golite only post ft sq'd on website, seems silly.

Sorry for the noob question.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I pasted your post title into google and came up with dimensions for the footprints:
    Area – 41.25 sq.ft. – Dimensions – 9 ft 4 in x 4 ft 7 in
    Area – 15.75 sq.ft. Dimensions – 6 ft 9 in x 3 ft 10 in

Brian Dickens

@briand

Thanks.

Strange, I still did not get hits until I put in the dimensions.

Here are the links that I found.

ShangriLa1
    http://www.campmor.com/golite-shangri-1-shelter-floor-2010.shtml

ShangriLa2
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27837

Would be nice to know the height too.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Yes, I had to click on a few things to come up with the floor dimensions, but it was there (this is slightly reminiscent of when I tell my boyfriend that such-and-such is on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator and he can't find it because there's a jar in front of it…)

But I will say that whoever is in charge of the info that goes on the GoLite site could do much better. I had to email them about the Chrome Dome umbrella to ask about UPF rating, since their regular umbrella showed as 50 UPF but Chrome Dome showed nothing. It turned out that they had the ratings on the wrong item! The person who handled my inquiry thanked me for pointing out the problem, and said they'd fix it. They still haven't, and this was months ago.

Since Campmor had specs for the floor, why don't you search their site for the height on the tents?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Golite web site leaves a lot to be desired.

The aforementioned dimensions for the SL 2 are accurate, though it's a bit wider in the middle when you stake it out. The peak height (height of trekking poles with the sides to the ground) is right around 121 cm. The cat cut ridgeline makes the middle a bit lower.

David Ure

@familyguy

The sq footage listed for the SL1 is actually for the inner net. The issue is where the rear pole goes as it limits usable length. So the 15.75 sq feet ignores the additional vestibule space and as well, ignores the ability to rig the foot end to an external pole, etc.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

This page has a floor plan for the SL 2 and this one for the SL 1 In each clase click on the diagram below photo of shelter.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

The SL-1 is a mansion for one person. I have actually pitched it high and used for 2 people before. Tight fit, but worked. I sold my SL-1 and recently picked up a SL-2. The SL-2 is a perfect 2 person tent, but light enough for 1 person. I would definatley buy the 2 over the 1 anyday. The SL-2 is solid. If you stake the middle stakes out about a foot wider than the corners (kind of like a hex) is is huge inside. Get a SL-2.

William Cummings

@rcummings1

My SL-2 MYOG groundsheet is 54"x100" and it gives me good coverage while leaving it just short enough to not get dripped on when entering in the rain. It's about a foot shorter than the SL-2 interior. I also cut the middle wider to 72" and it tapers to both ends to 54". Looks like a diamond with the points lopped off.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> Would be nice to know the height too.

Heights are given on their website. 48" for Shangri-La 1 Nest, 45" for the Shangri-La 1. 49" for Shangri-La 2 Nest, 48" for the Shangri-La 2. (Yes, the nests are taller in both.)

Interesting customer service at GoLite. I emailed them about the foot-end height as I'm considering going to fixed length trekking poles and may need to carry a short Easton pole. The response from GoLite customer service? "It's shorter than the front." No kidding… lol

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I set them both up today and this is what I measured. This will vary a little depending how you pitch it.

SL1 – 56" wide at the widest point on the front end. 39" wide at the widest point at the foot end. 10'-6" long point-to-point. The peak in the front is 43" tall. Didn't measure the distance between the poles, but it's about +72".

SL2 – 72" wide at the widest point in the center. 68" wide at the ends. 9'-0" long. Peak height of 48".

Chad Peltier
    Spectator

@cgpeltier

Does anyone else have experience cramming two people into the SL-1? The 2 is temporarily sold out on golite's website, but the SL-1 is 80$ right now. My girlfriend will be joining me on the PCT and climbing in the sierras this summer, so she needs to fit.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I know that people have shared the shangrila 1.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

Locale: Midwest

I was under the impression that they are coming out with new versions of the SL-2 and SL-2. Thus, I don't think they will be coming back in stock at the current prices. I recently ordered a sl2 nest, and the sales rep on the phone said it was gone when gone.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Once the old inventory of flysheets, floors and nests has been sold, GoLite will only sell tent 'bundles' – the fly and nest together in a single bag. The good news is the bundle prices are lower than the previous flysheet prices (eg SL1 bundle is $168, fly used to retail for $200); the bad news is that you have to buy the nest, and floors will no longer be an option.

Chad Peltier
    Spectator

@cgpeltier

Thanks for your responses everyone. Looks like the SL-1 will work out well for me then.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools