Topic

Cleaning platypus hose

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cleaning platypus hose

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

How do you clean a platypus hose? I have a brush for cleaning camelback hoses, but it only can be inserted in one end because of the right angle at the other end, so only reaches about half way. The hose is now completely black.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Completely black? Nasty! I actually remove the hose from the mouthpiece each trip. Platypus makes a tube brush and that allows me to easily run the brush through the hose. I then spin the tube around outside to let centrifugal force expell most of the water.

One poster (I believe it was Franco) said he bought a cheap aquarium air pump from WallyWorld and that he lets that run all night through his hose to ensure it's completely dry before packing it away.

I tend to be a little neurotic about getting my bladders and hoses dry – the smell of mildew makes me sick.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Black? That's gettin' your use out of an item! ;)

My first thought is to feed some kind of thin cordage through the length of the hose, using that to pull a "scrubber" of some kind through the hose behind it.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Soak it in a mixture of hot water and oxy clean.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

FWIW, the cheap aquarium air pump works great! I use it to dry out all my bladders after a trip.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I third the air pump technique for preventative maintenance.

If the hose is black it might be time to replace it :) If the lovely biofilm living inside there has taken up residence in/under the rubber it's probably not going to come out.

H202 or Bleach (both diluted) are good for regular cleanings after a trip, just fill the platy up and let it soak. There are also a few sanitizers that brewers use. All of those are safe once they dry.

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I think that is the way to go.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I would dump (recycle) the black hose and buy a new one.

Clean your Platypus or any other water bottle right after your trips. Platypus sells a cleaning kit with long brushes for both the bottle and hose. One thing I also do is drop a tablet of denture cleaner into the bottle and let it soak for 15 minutes – thankfully, this is the only reason why I have ever purchased denture cleaner. Then, if you are going to store it for a while, use a $10 aquarium pump with some hose to dry it out. I bought some "T" connectors so I could dry out a couple of bottles at the same time.

Sometimes, if I know I am going to use the bottles again pretty soon, I just refill them with water and put them in the fridge.

Mike

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I always empty my bladder and hose (it sounds odd saying that) then fill with clean water and a 1/2 teaspoon (guestimate) bleach let it soak for a few days then rinse out and i have a coat hanger thats bent and inserted in the bladder to hold it upside down and spread apart the hose is hung so it drains this is been by my kitchen sink for years. Im looking for a gal that can appreciate this.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Tossing an empty (not dry) bladder/hose in the freezer also prevents the YUCK.

First, though, she needs to replace/bleach the old hose.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

US plastics has food grade tubing to replace your current hose.

Have you tried threading a line through the hose, attaching some fabric or a sponge to the end and then pulling it through?
    Don't use anything abrasive because you don't want to scratch the tubing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools