Topic

Why should I spend the cash for a BushBuddy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why should I spend the cash for a BushBuddy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Forsberg

@chris-biomed

I'm torn by the decision to purchase a BB or just simply make a hobo stove. The difference in cost is huge! I know that the BB is very sparse with fuel, but I've yet had a problem finding an extra stick or two when I'm out.

Beside the cool-factor and the unique design why should I get one?

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

For me, while I've made a couple alky stoves etc… I bought the BB Ultra because someone else had worked out all the kinks, it is spot on in efficiency and it works so dang well. I could spend hours making one, and while the value of DIY is different to each, for a wood gas stove it didnt pan out in the calculations of what two hours of work would mean to me in dollars . I am VERY glad I just bit the bullet and dropped 100 on it. It really is a sweet stove. I knew that no matter how close I got, I'd always wonder about size of holes, stability, flow etc… every time I cook. Now I just pull out that sexy beast and enjoy smoke, flame and food. But obviously, my skill is nothing what yours may be or 99.9 % of the others on here. So YMMV. When I cook though, I dont want an 8-10 min wood fire turning into 20-30 due to my design….. would aggravate me.

Cheers and good luck. If you make one, keep us posted.

Ed

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Make the hobo stove or a BB clone first and see how you like carrying and using it. I made a clone which seems to work ok, but I'm still undecided about wood stoves in general.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The bushbuddy is a pretty amazing fuel miser compared to the hobo stoves I've made. It also burns more completed, burns faster and hotter, and is way less smoky.

I had similar doubts about spending so much on a fire in a can, but it has exceeded my expectations. Great for snow camping as it doesn't melt into the snow, and so much faster to get going than a fire.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Christopher,

I have the Bushbuddy Ultra and love it, but have only taken it out on one or two trips.

If you are going to burn wood, the BB is simply cool and amazingly efficent with the little bit of wood that it uses. I am amazed that only fine ash seems to be left for me to shake out of it.

Beyond the cool factor, I think of the Bushbuddy as simply one more tool in your UL tool box to use in the situation that is "just right" to get the benefits of burning wood.

For short trips, esbit seems the way to go for me….5.5 oz of esbit tablets will give me 8-10 possible days of a single hot meal.

Long duration trips with parts above treeline, I am looking to use my canister stove.

Multi day trip not above tree line with little to no chance of rain where I want hot water and meals as much as I want…BushBuddy!

As has been mentioned before, you can make your own, but someone has already done the hard work and made an amazing piece of equipment.

You are paying for someone doing all that hardwork and a very well made product….something that you are very unlikely to duplicate at home without a lot of expensive tools.

I agree with the above comments…maybe build one and see if you like cooking with wood/fire and dealing with the issues that comes up with it.

Things like soot covered pot (just bring a plastic bag to keep your other gear clean)

The need to gather wood and get a fire going (fire craft skills)

If it works for you, then go for the Bushbuddy if you want the best.

-Tony

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

make the hobo can stove first to see if you like the concept of wood stoves

i predict that youll decide more by how much you like the fuel source more than the particular stove you use

once you decide you like a wood stove come back and ask that question ;)

sides, making a wood stove can only help you understand a bush/caldera better …

Christopher Forsberg

@chris-biomed

Thanks everyone!

I'll make my own hobo stove for now and then when I've tested the concept a couple of times I'll have a better understanding if the BB is worth it to me.

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

Christopher,

IF yo're looking to make one, here's a DIY. I've made some improvements on it in the second video that makes for a much cleaner burn and less soot on the pot. The improvements were made after chats on another forum.

http://www.theoutdooradventure.net/2011/02/diy-video-high-efficiency-backpacking.html
    http://www.theoutdooradventure.net/2011/04/diy-improve-that-portable-backpacking.html

Christopher Forsberg

@chris-biomed

Nice videos!

I'll be off now to the supermarket with a ruler :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools