Topic

Now Available: The lightest 15″ Buck Saw on the planet ! Barely over 4 oz !

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Now Available: The lightest 15″ Buck Saw on the planet ! Barely over 4 oz !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I designed this saw in my head while hiking a section of the AT. Since coming back I have been refining prototypes and I now have a final tested design. I know many LNT-minded backpackers never or rarely make a fire. I completely respect and support that decision.

This saw will be useful for BPLers who like to make a fire in an existing fire ring with downed wood that is too big to break by hand. For me, living in the Northeastern US, this would certainly be a woods tool I could use much of the year on my local trail hikes.

It would also be useful for trail maintainers and others who need or want to clear blowdowns and similar trail treadway impediments. Even faster cutting through green wood than dry with its hybrid blade (has raker teeth).

Little Buck

"Little Buck" Saw

These are the specs:

* Weight: an unbelievable 4.15 oz
    * Blade: 15", imported from Sweden, where they know saws
    * Shape: tubes have "H" shape when assembled
    * Cutting depth: up to 6", but will work best on 3" to 5" diameter wood
    * Assembly: less than 60 seconds without tools; can assemble wearing gloves
    * Disassembly: takes less than 10 seconds; makes a 15" by 1.5" bundle
    * Materials: high quality 15" wood blade; special order aluminum alloy tubes; tensioning using 3.5 feet of braided no-stretch Spectra cord; blade attaches to side-tubes with steel split rings for durability; no knots to tie or untie
    * Owners manual with full instructions shipped with each saw

This is a second product line to add to my Big Dig and Original titanium trowels.
    You know you don't NEED it but you know you WANT it ; )

I'm calling it the "Little Buck". The price is $49, shipped in the continental USA. Make PayPal payments or send email questions to robkelly54 at gmail dot com

For international shipments, add $4 US.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Well, you asked for it and now it's here: a video demonstration of Little Buck assembly, take down, packing tips, and cutting wood. Can you dig it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvL8caLuAg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Email any questions to me at robkelly54 at gmail dot com

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

This would be perfect to carry when we're doing trail work at the local scout ranch. Especially after the fires.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools