Topic

Glen Aulin (Yosemite) Alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Glen Aulin (Yosemite) Alternative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Block

@jsblock11

Locale: Southern California

Right now 2 of us are permitted for Glen Aulin trailhead 6/24-6/26. This would be my first trip to Yosemite, as I understand it right now the snow levels are so extreme this year the trail may not even be passable. Some snow is cool, but I'd rather not need to traverse and have to navigate through miles of snow.

One alternative is to try and snag a walk in permit for another trailhead since we are going up the day before (Thursday 6/23), but honestly I'm not even sure the Little Yosemite Valley area will be good because of all the snow?

Any feedback on whether you think its even worthwhile to make the trip up? We are coming from SoCal both have the days off of work so 100% want to be able to do a backpacking trip, any suggestions for other areas in the Sierra that would have more passable conditions for the end of June this year?

First post for me, thanks for any and all feedback!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Welcome James,

It seems doubtful you'll be able to get to the trailhead for Glen Aulin. Here's an article with a June 7 pic of the Tioga Pass resort:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-snowpack-20110608,0,47010.story

Friends camped in the Valley two weekends ago and did the Mist Trail (in the monsoons) so that's open. Hetch Hetchy is a safe choice if you can get permits. I suppose the biggest challenge is finding camping when the summer crowds are crammed into a smaller portion of the park than usual.

Since you're coming up from SoCal, I'd also look at SEKI alternatives. They have less snowpack and are a shorter drive. Maybe Mineral King as well.

Good luck!

Rick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

+2 on SEKI, if not Mineral King than the east side of the Sierras

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I was in Sierra NF last weekend. Beasore Rd above Bass Lk was solid snow a bit above 6500'. I drove the FS road up to Fresno Dome until I reached solid snow about that same point. Hiked 4 miles or so up the road to around 7500', it was solid snow deeper as I climbed, 3-12'. The only clear road was on south slope just beyond Fresno Dome campground.

The snow was hard when I started at 7:30, softening considerably on the way down after 10:00. It wasn't too warm so things might be worse in that respect if things warm up.

Before I went I checked the road conditions on the FS web site. Their snow levels were pretty much spot-on. They reported level as 7000' further south (Shaver Lk area) so probably 7500' or so further south.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools