Topic

hiking and insurance

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    J Chandler

@sccrman13

Locale: VA

Have you heard that if you are a long distance hiker such as a thru hiker that you are considered an underwriting risk almost like someone that jumps out of a plane or rock climbs? It might not be that way with all insurance carriers but it is with some. Just thought that was an interesting fact. My advice is to not mention it if you are planning to get life insurance unless you have a date set on the calender and it is within 2 years.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I did not know that about any of that stuff. Ow well i guess. Even more reason to hate the system!!!!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

An extraordinary claim like that requires concrete proof.

Having enquired about it already, I can only report that the insurer was not concerned as long as we were not doing anything which required rock-climbing gear. Thru-hiking was considered harmless.

Cheers

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

So if i fall and hurt myself ice or rock climbing my health insurance will not foot the bill. Or are we talking only about life insurance?

J Chandler

@sccrman13

That is a good question about health insurance. I can not say as I am unlicensed in that field.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Maybe the agent confused it with rock climbing. Hiking is simply walking.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hiking should be considered healthy with all the exercise, fresh air, stress reduction —- all that life-threatening stuff :) I've always considered driving to and from the trailhead to be the most dangerous part of the journey!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

To be honest i feel exactly the same way about rock,ice and winter climbing/hiking. I have more close calls in one 3-4 one way commute to the mountains than i do in a single winter climbing season..

As for straight up hiking that is crazy, not that is does not present its own set of dangers but i would say in many cases unless you are a DF getting to work most morning is much more of a risk.

J Chandler

@sccrman13

I am an agent and thats why I brought it up. I found it odd when I read it during a training session and thought I would share. I agree it is odd, but I think from an insurance standpoint hiking does bring to light an interesting mix of risks that are not shared widely. I agree that I feel more danger from other drivers on my way to a trailhead than I ever do out in the woods away from the craziness of the world we live in. I guess the insurance companies feel as though most people are better suited to survive in cars and houses than in tents and walking.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I get life insurance through my work. They suggested that if we do high-risk activities like rock climbing that we might consider the AD&D coverage as well. I decided I would, but not for my outdoor activities but because I ride a motorcycle to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools