Topic

MYOG Dry Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Dry Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Nothing earth shattering light but always like to post my creations because I've learned most the skills and ideas needed from here. Weight is 1.5 oz and half that weight is in the hardware on the top. It is made from leftovers lying around as it's the first I've ever done. Thinner webbing would save some good weight. Just needs sealing or taping to make it completely watertight.
    dry bag topdry bag top

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Just needs sealing or taping to make it completely watertight.
    Nicely made, but …
    Can I gently suggest you test the stuff sack first? Obviously I do not know what fabric you have used to make it, but from the appearance I would suggest it is only splash-resistant.

What WILL work is lining it with a slightly larger plastic bag. With enough length to let you do the top up inside the nylon bag.

How do I know? Sigh! :-)

Cheers

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Roger you can suggest, gently or otherwise, anything you'd like. Always glad to listen to suggestions and advice from people with as much field and research experience as yourself.

The material was sold as a 'zero porosity' fabric. Simple tests seem to show it is waterproof but was curious about the limit. I would mail a sample to Richard but I understood he's finished the testing process now. I'll try and keep a sample back in case someone else does any.

The plastic bag liner is a good fix until such a time as I can be sure. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools