Topic

unsewn, uncovered quilt (i.e. piece of raw quilt batting)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear unsewn, uncovered quilt (i.e. piece of raw quilt batting)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I hammock and I need something for warmer temps. Since dirt/wet/ground contact is not an issue, I was thinking of just buying some climashield and cutting it to shape, essentially making a blanket. This hardly qualifies as MYOG, but I've never heard of anyone doing it, so I'm wondering if there's any reason why I shouldn't.

Blake Lytle
    BPL Member

@cirrusbl

Locale: Upstate South Carolina

The Climashield needs some sort of material to cover it. The insulation will stick to your skin – simply running my hand across it will start to pull off some of the fibers. Debris, like pine needles, would inevitably get in it. Pulling them out would wear it down quicker. You could try it, but I don't imagine it would be very comfortable or durable.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Blake is right about this. I though about using nano-see-um before we had any breathable fabrics that were lighter, but now with the existence of M50, and new fabrics coming available, there doesn't seem to be any reason other than cost to skimp here.

Obviously the really light weight silks would be a great option, and feel very comfortable.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Javan: Would using no-see-um work? And what would be an advantage or disadvantage of using it?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I never tried it, but I'm fairly certain it would work.

The only advantage as I saw it with nanoseeum, was the material weight, which at one time was lighter than any full weave fabric available to us. That's no longer the case however, so I no longer see an advantage other than price.

Disadvantage? Still less durable than a regular weave, probably much less so, since the mesh would be more likely to snag, and some fibers from the insulation might work their way out through the mesh, but I doubt it'd be serious. Regular No-see-um can vary in quality, weight and fineness of weave, which could introduce a lot of variables, so it really depends on the particular mesh.

Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Someone here made a vest and some other gear w/a mesh as a liner. Perhaps Aaron Sorensen? Anyway he was out West like on the PCT/JMT.

Aha….just searched and found it: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5734

I like his creativity.

Keep us posted on what you do!

Todd

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Great info, everyone (especially that thread, Todd! Folks here are so creative). I'll start looking into fabrics then, since it's clear I need something to keep the insulation from snagging.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA
    Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

4.5 or 5 momme Habotai silk would be lighter than nanoseeum or noseeum.
    Tulle (wedding veil) is lighter still. I think silk would work best

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Looks like I have a plan, then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools