Topic

Does this add up, first time uber light. New England late summer – summer..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Does this add up, first time uber light. New England late summer – summer..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Hydration — It's all personal, but when I'm doing long and fast miles, a hydration pack gets in the way. It's a pain to take it out and refill it, and I think that psychologically-speaking, it can lead to carrying more water weight so you have to stop less. With a wide-mouthed Gatorade bottle and micropur tabs, it's a 60 second process (max) to lean over, dip it in a stream, and fill it up.

If I'm only going to be out for 2-4 hours, I'll bring the hydration pack.

Tarp – I also use a Polycro groundsheet. Weighs 1.5 oz or so. I bought a two pack for cheap from Gossamer Gear, but you can also buy window insulation film and that's basically the same stuff. That combined with a headnet will keep you plenty comfortable.

I use a Tarptent Cloudburst 2 when I go out with my wife because she hasn't quite bought into the tarp thing. The Cloudburst is great, though. Super roomy, built in floor and bug net. But the trade-off is that it weighs 37 oz. Not a big deal when you're doing 15 miles or less per day, but when you're running, it makes a difference.

Pad – Get the short-sized Gossamer Gear Nightlight. I have a Ridge Rest which I like, but I think the Nightlight would be the way to go if I had to do it again.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Peach cobbler, "now that's what I'm talking bout" lol.

No for real all great tips though!!

Lets help me pick out the best two person tarp going. Light weight, light weight, light weight.

I am not going tarp for any other reason than weight savings so it is gonna have to be the lightest weight/strength ration tarp going.

Also a bug/head net,who makes em and are they all the same or can i gram dork out on this one also? After all it is mesh netting lol ;)

Does Golite make the best lightweight pack with the jam? I have def noticed people like this pack. Is there a custom pack builder that could make me one with a built in sleeve to keep my bladder in place at the least and maybe save even more weight over the jam? I am concerned with having no ergo back pad or real support to keep shape too the pack. I am getting a bit older and i def feel all this crap these days. I like to be cautious of my body when i can.

It seems when you really start dorking out on small cottage specialty gear makers you actually have way more choices than you would think. This leaves my head spinning!!

Sorry about your IT Band issue. I am also suffering a overuse issue or rather have kinda been plagued with them all starting with a sprained ankle that lead to a soleus strain that as healed turned into planters that healed and turned into turf toe. Be careful is all i can say and let your IT band rest or it could be a much bigger deal than you think?!!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I just looked at the GoLite Jam and JAm2, they weigh more than my Greggory pack and are way way bigger volume wise than what i need.

Go Lite Jam 840 grams

Greggory Miwok 728 grams

?

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Yeah, the newer Jams are a lot heavier for whatever reason. If you see an older model on Gear Swap, though, it might be worth grabbing.

How much do you have to spend on your tarp and pack? Most of your weight savings will be in your tarp, so make that your priority.

I'd recommend a pack that uses your sleeping pad as the frame. It's a setup that works really well and saves a ton of weight. If you let me know your budget, I can point you in the right direction. Brands to look at are Zpacks, MLD, Six Moon Designs, ULA, and Gossamer Gear.

For your tarp, cuben fiber tarbs are by far the lightest. They're also super expensive and not as strong or durable. That said, people have done through-hikes with them. You just have to know what you're doing and be careful. Personally, I prefer silnylon. It's still very lightweight, but it can withstand stronger wind and you don't need to worry so much about it. I think the Integral Design Siltarps are awesome. Well made, well-designed, and very light. They make both a one and two person model and can often be found on Gear Swap for a low price. In fact, I got mine by posting a WTB ad there.

I like Sea to Summit's headnet. It's cheap and lightweight. I don't bring the stuff sack.

Regarding the IT Band, I've taken it pretty easy. It's been almost two months now and I've worked up to about half the mileage I was doing before it happened. It's feeling better, though, and the squats and bridges I've been doing have helped. I'm running a race on Mt. Greylock for Father's day, so we'll so how that goes!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I mean not to say i need to throw money away but i figure it like this. On pieces of gear that will last at least a few years i am willing to spend whatever to get exactly what i want/need. Does that mean a cubin tarp is in my future, maybe maybe not? I kinda think not if they indeed are not as tough as i am not gonna pay $300 for something i cant use and have to be VERY VERY careful with in situations that often call for rushing.

So my thoughts are like this what does a tarp, steaks, cord, a bug net and a waterproof bivy weigh? Mostly i now need to be directed toward light weight waterproof bivy sacks that breath enough to not soak out my down bag but still keep me 100% dry in the event of heavy rain….

Brands weights?

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If you just want to go the Bivy route you will want one with at least an Event top.

I don't have any experience with them but Itegral designs makes one that is about 18oz. Not sure if you can get lighter or not.

Mount Laurel Designs also have some.

EDIT: I think I mis-read the above post when you said "water proof" bivy. If you are using a tarp and bivy you don't need a water proof bivy. A bivy with good DWR will work. Something less than 8 ozs. If you are just using a Bivy than you will want a Waterproof breathable bivy like event or something else.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

You can get a lot lighter, but you'll sacrifice comfort. This bivy by Montbell is 6.3 oz. http://www.ultralitegear.com/montbell-breeze-dry-tec-bivy-bag.html

That's not as breathable as the Event bivies, and I'm sure it's not as comfortable, but how often are you going to use the bivy? Most nights, you'll probably choose to sleep without it, as it's much more comfortable. When the rain comes down, you've got the bivy as backup.

I'm a relatively recent tarp convert, and to be honest, I don't bring a bivy. This has a lot to do with the fact that I'm cheap, as well as the added weight. I also don't know a whole lot about them.

If it rains, or looks like it might, I pitch my tarp low and hope for the best. So far it's worked, but I've yet to use it in heavy rain. We'll see how long I can continue to push it. I figure I can use my trash compactor bag liner to protect the foot of the bag, or I could also slip my feet inside my pack because of it's tube-shaped, roll-top closure. Finally, I can always wrap the ground cloth over myself.

If you get a 2 person tarp, such as the Integral Designs Siltarp 2, your need for a bivy is virtually nonexistant. That coverage will keep you dry in just about anything.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Check out packs made by:
    Mountain Laurel Designs
    ULA
    Gossamer Gear

I have the Gossamer Gorilla,and it has an internal bladder pouch.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

It is clear after dorking out at tarps bags and pads that the most weight savings for me is gonna be with the tarp over the lighthouse for solo trips. Being i do a solo trip once a week most of my trips end up solo so i figure i should get a tarp ehy ;)

I think i will go with a ultra basic light weight tarp with a homemade Tyvek floor cloth and a bug net for my bag only. I will travel with the tarp when good weather is called for and not worry and worst case suffer a tough night every once and again. When bad weather is called for i will take the lighthouse. I figure is i add the bivy a full bug net shelter and all that i am up to the weight of my lighthouse so it is pointless. This seems to me to be a nice weather system.

After measuring, checking weights so forth and so on i am gonna go with the Neo Air small at 9oz. It's a shame but although the GG torso pad folds in three it will not fit in my pack as my pack tapers to 8 inches at the top and the pad fold up to 10×19. I could trip it up like paper snowflake but that is kinda stupid as it is so small as it is and the holes will be in terrible spots.

I will stick with my pack for now as my current pack is 26oz and most others are way bigger than i care to carry and only save me 4-6oz anyway.

I figure the platti and the tarp are great places to save weight for now. I should be able to save like 2.75 lbs his way taking me down to like 6.75 lbs. Imop that is pretty good as i am willing to carry the 10lb pack with the lighthouse tbh!!!!

With that said who makes the most basic lightest i will keep you dry " i hope" tarp?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

For packs you might look at the Gossamer Gear Hyperlight. 28L pack body with some external pockets. Only weighs 8.1oz. No idea how it will carry while running though.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools