Topic

H20 location in pack – front, side or rear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) H20 location in pack – front, side or rear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Saxton

@hokie

In looking at packs like G5 vs Jam, I am wondering how much difference the location of water bladders or pockets for water makes within the pack. I currently use a 3L Platypus hoser in a Jam, but am considering lighter packs like Thompson Peak or G5. In these other cases, water is carried to the rear which seems removed from the center of gravity for a heavy item like water. I also wonder how “off-centered” the weight would be when water is carried in the side pockets? I do prefer hyrdration hoses over bottles alone.

Question: Does the location of where water is carried make a difference? Any opinions for a novice? My Fall season base weight is 10-11 lbs with the Jam.

Thanks,
    Mike

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

For me personally, I carry water however works best for the particular pack. In my jam I use one 1 liter soda bottle in each side pocket, in my atmos 50 I use a 2 liter platy in the mesh back panel. I like both ways equally.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

If you have filled your water container(s) then it is probably the densest and/or heaviest thing in your pack. I use a bladder (platypus) and am glad that both my day pack and backpacking pack have sections in the pack for a hydration system. Even though I don’t use a hose, I find that getting the water right next to my back makes a big difference in comfort. If that isn’t possible, I suggest having it as close to the back as possible and as balanced as possible. In the winter (when I use Nalgenes) I take a pair of them and fill them next to each other and put them in the same spot in the bottom of my pack, next to my back. Having the weight close to my back reduces “pack torque”. The idea of pack torque (something a lot of people have experienced but not quantified) is described really well in the BMP Lightweight Backpacking and Camping book.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ross, thanks for bringing up pack torque as it relates to carrying of water. High torque is the one problem I have with my Granite Gear Nimubs Ozone, which is very deep in the axis perpendicular my back. I try and load it with dense items near my back and less dense items farther away.
    No one has mentioned hanging two 1 liter nalgenes on the front of the pack straps. This reduces pack torque, and of course your water is easily available. (but I don’t do that)
    Anyway, to answer the thread subject, I carry 500ml soda bottles in each of the side mesh pockets, and if necessary a platypus bladder in the packs hydration pouch.
    As an aside, I read plastic bottles designed for carbonated beverages are stronger because of the transportation requirements on pressurized liquids.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Mike, I also use the Jam as my primary pack, and like you, my base weight is around 10 lbs. I use a 1 Liter Platypus in each side pocket. I’ve never felt off centered even when one is empty. I like to keep the heavy stuff close to my center of gravity. I’ve never tried carrying my water in front, hanging from the shoulder straps, but would like to try it. Others have written that it works great for them.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Mike,

I like to pack my G4 as in this schematic:

schematic

Eventhough a G4 doesn’t have a sleeve for carrying a platypus, I find that when my pack is full it will stay in place. Last Ireland hike I did we carried a 2 liter waterbottle pp extra, which i carried in one of the side pockets. I did find the pack off balance so I didn’t like that set up.

To answer your Q: Yes, I do find that the location of water (being the densest item I carry) makes a big difference for me. I like to carry it close to my back, between my shoulderblades. But i would also advice you to experiment; what works for me doesn’t have to work for you as well.

Good luck, Eins

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I like stowing my empty water bottle whereever is convenient and risking a bit of dehydration here and there.

Oh to be hiking in the mountains and not the desert!

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I almost always keep a 1.8 or 2L Platypus in the side pocket (Jam or Dawn). It’s usually balanced with some snacks-at-hand on the other side. Sometimes, yes, the water side is heavier, but it usually doesn’t keep my attention for long. I wouldn’t worry about it if you’re not carrying extraordinary amounts of water. Just keep it where it fits.
    -Mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> As an aside, I read plastic bottles designed for carbonated beverages are stronger because of the transportation requirements on pressurized liquids.
    Yup.
    I use them – about 30 grams each. Reviewed at BGT under PET bottles. A bottle lasts me several years before I decide to have a new unscratched one.

Doug Hile

@dhile

I’m desert hiker, and it depends on how far it is to water on how much I carry, at the most it has been 10L. To carry that much it is 2-2L platys in the hydration sleeve, 1-L in the side pocket, another in the bottom inside of the pack, and a 4L MSR on top inside my pack. This is for a two day fall hike with out any water.
    At minimum I have a 2L platy in the sleeve of my pack.

christian madsen

@sherpachris

Locale: SoCal

I like to have a 16 oz. soda bottle on each side of the pack. I have a 5.6 oz. backback similar to a G5, except that the side pockets are lower so I can just reach back and grab a bottle whenever needed. My friends always have to take their packs off to get to their water or to adjust their hoses. I used to do this myself but now opt for simplicity.

When I need more water storage I take larger/additional bottles or shove a platy in the pocket on the back of the pack.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

“Oh to be hiking in the mountains and not the desert!”

Amen to that

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools