Topic

Which jacket ? for casual town wear or short hill walk; Light < 16 oz. wind resistant, rain resistant, flexible, looks good for town

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Which jacket ? for casual town wear or short hill walk; Light < 16 oz. wind resistant, rain resistant, flexible, looks good for town

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Brocklebank

@davebrock

Hi,
    I am looking for jacket (possibly softshell) with a full front zip (preferably without hood) to be used for short hill walks (1 to 2 hours) where there can be some wind and sometimes a little light rain or drizzle, but can also be worn and look good around town.

Irish Spring/Summer weather which can vary from 10 degrees celcius (50 F) to 22 celcius (70 F) with sunshine, light rain, some wind variable conditions.

I am not looking for a Gortex rain coat that looks like a rain coat, and would prefer a softer 'casual jacket look'.

The two i have found are Patagonia Simple Guide jacket which weighs 481 gr (17 oz)
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-simple-guide-jacket?p=83746-0-984

or Marmot Leadville Jacket 460 gr (16.2 oz)
    http://marmot.com/products/leadville_jacket?p=216,222,142

Does anyone know of other suitable jackets which may be even lighter, and would be suitable for casual wear around town?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?EN/Gamma-MX-Jacket The Gamma MX by Arc'teryx is bomber. I've used it for traveling mostly when I want something with a lot of pockets, hand warmer pockets, full front zip, water resistant (DWR), wind blocking. I have the hooded version though, which I can admit I'd rather have done without. Expensive option, but perhaps ebay? Friend with a pro deal?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The North Face Geosphere jacket may fit the bill, though I'm usually partial to Patagonia. I'd take it out for a half day hike, snowshoe, whatever … just a tad heavier at 18 oz but it was on sale ($75 USD).

Did OK worn in light blowing snow around Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'd second the Arc'Teryx Gamma MX. I have the hoodless version and pretty much wear it 24/7 once the temps dip below 70F and it usually suffices to somewhere in the 40s for me (I run cold being used to triple digit temps 1/3 of the year).

The hoody runs down to your hips and provides more coverage. the Jacket just comes down to the waist, although around town I've never noticed an issue with it. While the fit looks athletic it still has a deceptive amount of room for a thin midlayer or two under it (or maybe I'm just rail thin).

You may be able to find last year's model on sale somewhere (they refresh the design every 3 years or so, although don't change much really).

Again, I love mine and it's my go to jacket for cooler weather that isn't a tempest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools