Topic

Ground Cloth or Pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Ground Cloth or Pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I am about to buy my first tarp and am left with a few questions.

What is the lightest groundcloth set up? Or would a full length (1/8' inch) foam ccf pad be lighter and more effective? For a Grace Solo should I look at getting a bivi sack or can I get through most things without one?

I am looking at getting a set up that I will also be able to use on a thru-hike of the PCT in 2012.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Polycro, from GossamerGear is tough and lighter than a pad.

You can also buy the window film from Ace Hardware, WallyWorld, etc and cut to size.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Thats what I was refering to with the 1/8" foam. Is there anywhere to buy those full length? The question still remains: wich is more effective, the foam or the groundcloth.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

groundcloth

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

More effective for what? If simply keeping out water, polycro (window film) would be better and lighter and cheaper (on sale @ Walmart now). However, if you have an inflatable pad, you may prefer the CCF under it as added protection for your PCT hike. It will also add a bit of insulation.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A groundcloth is really more for keeping your bag and bivy (or tent floor) clean and dry. A polycro or tyvek sheet will not provide any insulation.

A sleeping pad is for insulation and comfort. A thin polyethylene pad (like a Thinlight from Gossamer Gear) is mostly for insulation, not much for comfort. Thicker foam pads (like a Ridgerest) or inflatables (like a NeoAir) provide both insulation and comfort.

Most people seem to take both as they really do different things. For the PCT, I think I'd take a polycro groundsheet and a foam pad like a 3/4 length Ridgerest or ZRest.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I use a 1/8" foam pad as my snow camping groundsheet. It adds a little warmth at very little added weight (like 1 oz more than a polycro for 30×74). But for summer use, every sharpish object ( pine needle, pine cone, etc.) sticks to it so it's kind of a hassle unless you are always on sand or smooth rock slabs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools