Topic

new $80 merino wool blend 1/4 zips or bottoms for $20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals new $80 merino wool blend 1/4 zips or bottoms for $20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Found this while looking for wool hiking pants, new $80(MSRP) merino wool(46%) polyester(50%) blend 1/4 zips or bottoms for $20.

Deal is here:
    http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/arcticshield-xscent-lightweight-base-layer-p-2544.html

OEM is here:
    http://arcticshieldoutdoors.arcoutdoors.com/base_layer.html

These could be junk, Ive never heard of them before, but I ordered a top to test out. Ill report back.

Happy trails.ArcticShield merino blend base layer

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Please do report back. We live on Mt. Lassen, or near its base in N. Cal. This morning is 20 degrees F. I am always looking for a lighter, cheaper solution to my trusted standbys – Patagonia capilene midweight long sleeve top and long johns. I add the expedition weight long johns either alone or on top of the light weight or mid weight long johns when there is wind or a storm. This morning I am trying out Mont Bell therma wrap pants over the mid/light weight long johns — I wear a medium size and with the capilene under the thermawraps the butt is a bit snug and so it is a bit cool. Anyway, the cost for the Patagonia gear is about av. $70 an item and the thermawraps are more … a cheaper alternative would be great since we wear this stuff a lot and it tends to wear thinner and a bit less insulating after it is washed (cool or warm water with a soft detergent) and then air dryed. Any other suggestions — I was gonna try the down pants from Western Mountaineering, but they are expensive and down isn’t the best when its wet. b. davis

Brett .

@brett1234

William,
    I also ordered the Thermawrap pants, with the full-zip sides and I am excited to try them out. I plan to use them over my hiking pants during periods of inactivity. I used to use capilene top layers like you do, but I switched to merino wool. Warmer per unit weight IMO, and I was amazed at the difference in odor. I am a clean person basically, but still my capilene stinks after 12 hours in the field; wool does not after 48+. Sparks from a campfire burn little holes in capilene and fleece, but my wool seems to be more resistant? I have not sacrificed any wool to confirm that.

Hopefully this wool blend mentioned above for $20 will be an inexpensive alternative to smartwool, ibex or icebreaker. Also, in case you do not know yet, you can watch http://www.sac.com for deals on those brands. I bought three name brand tops for $25 on average.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

That looks good they have X-Static in them too – one of the silver ion clothing treatments.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Thinking about getting these – did you like them??

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I ordered the light weight tops and bottoms. Arrived today … labeling on the packaging and garments says "100% Polyester plus X-Static". No mention of wool.

With a closer look at their web site, I see the mid weight versions of the same products are described as 100% polyester so one description or the other is likely inaccurate.

Me thinks I'll be finding out how good or poor their customer service is.

I weighed them. Size 2XL … top is 8.2oz, bottom is 7.9oz

Brett .

@brett1234

Mine arrived today. Different product than advertised. Some poorly made poly top with no zip. It is not the "Polywool™ Quarter-Zip Pullover" Avoid this store!
    It would cost me more in time and postage to send this back than it is worth.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I'm not ready to call it a scam … yet.

That will depend on their response. If they correct their web site for that item and take the product back in a way there is no cost to me (other than time) than I'm content that it was an error.

Or maybe they'll send me some real PolyWool stuff? … I think that maybe I'm dreaming:-)

Terry Boldt

@teedee

If you want merino wool underwear for a reasonable price then try these sites:

This site sells NZ merino wool only. Also, they sell only a unisex style:

http://www.faxmail.co.nz/mavlin/

This site sells Australian merino wool only. They have separate mens and womens and more of a size range:
    http://www.wool-underwear.com/

This site is a US retailer and they sell only Australian merino wool:
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=29395&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=29395

I have tops and bottoms from both the first and second site. I have worn both. The quality of both is excellant. I have a slight, very slight, preference for the NZ merino.

I have never worn a merino/synthetic blend and don't think I ever would. Why degrade the merino by blending with a synthetic? Maybe price, but at the price these 3 are selling at, that is not necessary.

You do not have to pay the Smartwool, Ibex or Icebreaker prices to get quality merino wool underwear. Maybe if they get some real competition, then they will lower their prices.

I am NOT affilated with any of the above other than being a customer of all 3.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools