Topic

Where should I take a WFR course in August: McCall, ID or Lander, WY??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Where should I take a WFR course in August: McCall, ID or Lander, WY??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

McCall, ID, McCall Outdoor Science School Aug-15 Aug-24
    -or-
    Lander, WY, Wyoming Catholic College Aug-16 Aug-25

I'm leaning towards Lander, then doing a week Teton loop before driving back West and down to LA…

Thoughts anyone?

David Heldreth

@wave517

Hey Kenneth,

As a Lander resident and grad of a WFR at WCC I would recommend taking one here. Lander has a compliment of some of the best Wilderness Medicine Institute Instructors living in town (because NOLS is headquartered here) so you would likely be taught by one of the longer term instructors. Learning at WCC is kinda fun too, because your class will be populated by many of the students from that college. They are a goofy bunch (they randomly sing a lot), but significantly more focused than your average college student or outdoor professional. The outdoor area for scenarios has both nicely manicured lawns and some hilly scrub brush areas, and is quiet and away from major roads.

As for the Lander area itself, you have access to the Wind River Range, great Rock Climbing in Sinks Canyon and Wild Iris, and good food and community. Your night scenarios take place up in Sinks Canyon near the Popo Agie river, which you may even use for cold water immersion training. All in all I would definitely choose Lander, but I am of course buyist.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

+2 for Lander! You have one of the most beautiful and wild mountain ranges in the world right there! No need to head off anywhere else afterwards!

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

Exactly the push i needed. David, thanks for the local wisdom, and mary D, for your enthusiasm :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools